• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Pre-season friendlies 22/23

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's not easy for the big clubs to come to places like exeter for a psf. They normally have deals with sponsors etc that they'll tour Asia or America for pre season as this forms a big part of their commercial revenue, grows the fan base etc etc. I don't blame them.

We generally seem to start the season pretty well so whatever we do pre season seems to work fine. I'm happy to keep it local with the semi pro sides like Tivvy and Weston, but it would be nice to have a local(ish) game against decent opposition like Bristol City or Cardiff. Just avoid any stupid games like the one we had 7 or 8 years ago when the opposition decided to try and cripple all our players, possibly Bodmin?
It was Bodmin.
Not a good day either on the field or in the 'social' club.

Interesting you mention Cardiff though.

We had a home friendly with them a few seasons back when they sent reserve players instead of a strong team as promised.
The reserve players proceeded to inflict injuries on our players with reckless tackling.
I believe Steve Perryman had to have words with their coaching staff and threatened to abandon the match if things didn't improve.

Colesman Ballz

I was there as well and seem to remember one of the Rennes players wearing glasses!! I also remember City v Bolivia La Paz and FC Kickers Offenbach!!
In Nov 61 we also played OFK Belgrade losing 2-4 (or to give them their correct name OFK Beograd). The Bolivian team were C.A.R. La Paz.

Oldsmobile-88

A bit off topic, but the name Rennes reminded me of youth football in the mid 1970s, They played in the same league as St Martins(Exminster) & Foxhayes(Exwick)
Anyone else remember them. ? I can’t remember where they played, it may have been at Alphington.

Rosencrantz

A bit off topic, but the name Rennes reminded me of youth football in the mid 1970s, They played in the same league as St Martins(Exminster) & Foxhayes(Exwick)
Anyone else remember them. ? I can’t remember where they played, it may have been at Alphington.
By the time I played for Rennes U15's around 1991 they were playing at Bettysmead on Beacon Lane. I can only remember them playing there.

Oldsmobile-88

By the time I played for Rennes U15's around 1991 they were playing at Bettysmead on Beacon Lane. I can only remember them playing there.
Thanks Rosy. Memory jogged 😁

andrew p long

another advantage of City playing local non league teams is the opportunity for some of our youngsters to show that they can do a job against that level of opposition - its good for their prospects of getting a decent loan. IIRC quite a few of our youngsters ended up on loan to clubs that they played against in pre season

Boyo

I see that Rennes (4th), Nantes (9th), Brest (11th) and Lorient (17th) are all Ligue 1, whereas Guingamp finished 6th in Ligue 2. I saw Lorient a couple of seasons ago and thought them a rather pretty L1 equivalent. The French Ligue 1 has a very big range, rather like the Scottish Prem.

With Timothee in the team and connections through Bertie, we should be able to arrange something. Would be a good idea to create links and perhaps pick up some decent players.

Come to think of it, I wonder if ECFC would like a scout for the French leagues? I could squeeze it in for a few beans and expenses!
I think the French league is quite a bit stronger than the Scottish league, although it certainly has it quirks. Guingamp, with a population of <10,000 won the French cup not so long ago.

I've driven past Rennes stadium a few times and always wanted to watch a game there (I definitely have a soft spot for them, being our twin!).

Realistically, none of those teams would want to host us, but I'm sure there are some lower league teams that we could visit as part of a tour. It would be fab.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
We're not on Bath City's list fixture list!

i8cornwall

Under 23 are playing Tavistock as well.

Only adding as people have said about the younger players in this thread.

Red Devon

another advantage of City playing local non league teams is the opportunity for some of our youngsters to show that they can do a job against that level of opposition - its good for their prospects of getting a decent loan. IIRC quite a few of our youngsters ended up on loan to clubs that they played against in pre season
Stronger opposition one to two weeks before the start of the season can also be of interest and benefit for both fans and the coaching staff.