• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Portsmouth V's Exeter City EFL Trophy SF Official Match Day Thread

Fareham Grecian

Battling performance against a form side. No criticism of any player, all put in a shift, all heroes.

Dannyred

Apart from the Lewis Ward comment. The shot flicked off Harry Kite leaving him stranded. He is the best of our two keepers.
I did think ward was the best of the two but I am more in favour of maxted as I feel ward is to cautious since his injury.

Joshyd123

Very well known Exeweb poster
If you think Jonny would have saved their second then he has just grown half a foot when no one was looking. The deflection off Kite was a cruel one that looped over Ward. If Ward couldn't reach it, how could Maxted?

Agree about Marquis being the ref's cousin.
More to do with Ward's positioning being 12 yards off his line, any need? Probably not. He was also extremely lucky the Pompey chance at 0-0 was straight at him when he was stood in line with the post rather than the middle of the goal.

PeteUSA

Let's be honest, no matter how long added time there is/was/should have been, to be 2-1 up in a football match when the clock hits 90 minutes to still lose the game in normal time is completely unacceptable whether you are Brazil, Man City or Green Gables. To make things worse, Lewis Ward is about 9ft7 and has been lobbed from 30 yards for the Pompey 2-2 equaliser goal, waving at the ball on the way past. When's Maxted back?

I cant have that. I wasnt over the moon with the way Ward came off of his line with their first goal, but he had no chance with that equaliser. He dived for the original shot, but it took a monumental deflection upwards lifting the ball two feet over him. Not a chance with that IMHO.

Red Devon

Great effort from City and a very enjoyable game of football apart from the result...the biggest difference between the two sides were the front men which were miles apart in quality...watching Fisher tonight makes you realise just exactly how much work and effort Bowman puts into his game...Law, Jake and Warren looked the part against very good opposition with Williams coming on and looking classy too.

Joshyd123

Apart from the Lewis Ward comment. The shot flicked off Harry Kite leaving him stranded. He is the best of our two keepers.
I'm happy to accept you prefer Lewis Ward but Jonny Maxted played considerably better when Ward was injured, than Ward has at the start of the season, or since Jonny got injured.

budegrecian

Harry Kite looked very comfortable against a top league 1 side. Yet another one who will break through next season.

Rosencrantz

I did think ward was the best of the two but I am more in favour of maxted as I feel ward is to cautious since his injury.
They are both good keepers who have played well this season. Maxted took a run of games to get going and cut out the mistakes. Coming back from a broken arm is always going to take a while to get full confidence.

AB Ciren

What tonight shows is that if and when we get promoted we are more than capable of holding our own

andrew p long

Now which team changed just two players from the weekend and which changed ten?