• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Portsmouth V's Exeter City EFL Trophy SF Official Match Day Thread

scottus86

You really are an absolute fool , Just don’t bother putting you usual b*llocks on here.....
I think Pete was actually pointing out that he didn't know where the added time came from.

lanzo

The youngsters looked good, will have been a good experience for them.

Not sure who I'd give my MOTM to.
Gary Warren excellent performance

Legohead

Banned
Just seen the result and the craziness of the last 5 mins or so. My feelings about this competition aside, tonight Matty and the lads who came in to try and do a job must be given all the plaudits for what sounded like a resolute and battling performance. They will be massively disappointed i'm sure as are a lot of the fanbase that there isn't a trip to Wembley at the end of the leasing.com trophy rainbow. It meant a lot to a lot of people connected to the club did tonight's game. Massive credit to those loyal grecians who were at FP tonight also. A horrible night weather wise, the game was on telly and radio and it would have been easy to stay at home and put their feet up. They didn't and they went their to support the team. Remarkable fans.

Joshyd123

Very well known Exeweb poster
Let's be honest, no matter how long added time there is/was/should have been, to be 2-1 up in a football match when the clock hits 90 minutes to still lose the game in normal time is completely unacceptable whether you are Brazil, Man City or Green Gables. To make things worse, Lewis Ward is about 9ft7 and has been lobbed from 30 yards for the Pompey 2-2 equaliser goal, waving at the ball on the way past. When's Maxted back?

The real bone of contention for me though is the fact John Marquis was even still on the pitch to even be allowed to score the winner. Halfway through the second half he left his studs in, above knee height, on Gary Warren and didn't even get a telling off, let alone a deserved yellow card by the letter of the law of the footballing game. Not only that, he then dives looking for a penalty, a blatant dive too may I add, to which again, you've guessed it, not even a telling off, let alone a yellow card for simulation by the letter of the law of the footballing game. Thirdly, the cheeky tossbag then runs after and hounds the referee for about 5 minutes protesting why he's not been given the penalty, surely an unsportsmanlike action and deemed yet again of a yellow card? Not only that but the fact we lost the ball deep in the Pompey half when the clock was 95:06 , the referee then proceeded to allow another Pompey attack, another 15-20 seconds of time of the already used additional time for that cheating arse to notch the winner.

It just goes to show that even in a cup competition, referees are clearly being instructed to favour the higher league team to take away from the smaller, less well off club and it's an absolute travesty we've ended up losing tonight and missed out on another trip to Wembley. Gutted.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Sounds pretty spot on to me Joshy

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
When Portsmouth equalised I thought well at least if we go out it would have been on penalties. We gave our all against a very strong Portsmouth team with a current phenomenal home record.

in truth given the strength of the respective teams I had feared that Portsmouth would have won fairly easily but to have performed as well as we did and then get so close was so disappointing. Still upwards and onwards this is going to be our promotion season.

Dannyred

We were always going to be up against it with a weak defence.

Disappointing

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Let's be honest, no matter how long added time there is/was/should have been, to be 2-1 up in a football match when the clock hits 90 minutes to still lose the game in normal time is completely unacceptable whether you are Brazil, Man City or Green Gables. To make things worse, Lewis Ward is about 9ft7 and has been lobbed from 30 yards for the Pompey 2-2 equaliser goal, waving at the ball on the way past. When's Maxted back?
If you think Jonny would have saved their second then he has just grown half a foot when no one was looking. The deflection off Kite was a cruel one that looped over Ward. If Ward couldn't reach it, how could Maxted?

Agree about Marquis being the ref's cousin.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I tend to follow the team not the competition whenever I can.
Yep I followed just not fussed that we're out of that nothing competition.

budegrecian

Sounds pretty spot on to me Joshy
Apart from the Lewis Ward comment. The shot flicked off Harry Kite leaving him stranded. He is the best of our two keepers.