• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Port Vale discussion

Leedsvaliant

I've been browsing your forum hoping for some insight, but all I've found out is how many of you have Covid and how poor the local bus service to Burslem is from the surrounding towns and villages. Oh for the days when there were three double decker buses from Leek 😂
Oh man, they love talking about Covid...drives me nuts! I live in between Leek and Burslem.....I think they've only just discovered the wheel in Leek!

Leedsvaliant

Got a chum who's Vale fan, whenever he visits he brings down a glint in his eye and a stack of these "oatcakes". Bloody awful, like chewing on a flannel, except a flannel has more flavour. When he leaves the remaining soggy bland mess goes straight in the compost.
You've clearly never had them done properly or he's bought you the mass produced ones which tend to be rubbery.

There's no better breakfast than a filled oatcake. They're eaten on a weekend morning by most people round here.

Leedsvaliant

Quote from Onevalefan today: "Wilson was limping after the game on Saturday - hope he is fit for tomorrow"

Here's hoping your best player has a bad injury and is unavailable tomorrow. No offence.
He's always limping after games, he has that languid style where he looks like he's been absolutely battered. I wouldn't read much into it.

Leedsvaliant

He's been pretty poor for us in all honesty but had done reasonably well in the last couple of games before the weekend. A good influence in the changing room though apparently.

JCWhoosh

I think KMT has played the press conference well. This isn't necessarily a 'free hit game' as he puts it but not wanting to put unnecessary pressure on the team. In fact, I think it adds more pressure to Vale needing the points and coming up against a weaker team and pretty sure the fans will get at their team if not beating us.
We have a solid defence and still scoring goals without our star striker. It would have been nice to have Diang playing but he needs a rest at some point so hopefully he is back soon. Atangana and Taylor weren't getting games anyway so not really match sharp (although I rate Taylor to come good). Whoever fills the middle might show KMT another side to City that he wouldn't have known otherwise which may set up different options for the final push in order to rotate the midfield a little more?

LDNGrecian

No doubting that but the choice is Hartridge or Sweenz in midfield, Sweenz would be the better option and Chieck would be more comfortable on the right being right footed. All the evidence stacks up to a no brainer.
Think Sweeney would lack the mobility in cm which Hartridge edges him on.
This dilemma reminds me of Tillson. What an odd player he was.

Grecianpasty

Chieck in midfield is just simply not a good idea. He is still finding his way in his own position, albeit very well, without over complicating his mind in a new unfamiliar position.
Maybe you're right. I just have a feeling that's the way MT will go. It would absolutely make more sense to have a more experienced player in there. With that said, it wouldn't be too dissimilar to when Troy Archibald got pushed into that defensive midfield role, and he did a great job.

Grecianpasty

If anyone thinks that Diabate is going to play CM for us they are smoking crack.
This preview would suggest other wise:

'Matt Jay looks set to be recalled in an advanced midfield role, while someone, potentially Cheick Diabate, may have to deputise in an unfamiliar defensive-midfield role if Dieng is deemed unavailable'

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster

'Matt Jay looks set to be recalled in an advanced midfield role, while someone, potentially Cheick Diabate, may have to deputise in an unfamiliar defensive-midfield role if Dieng is deemed unavailable'

Alas he has about as much insight into the potent ial player getting the nod as all of us on here do and at least we watch the games he was just guessing :)

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster

I don't know how credible that chap is, but talk of Dieng starting is more hopeful than we could wish for.