• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
As was the other **** in this photo.

View attachment 9898
Absolutely. If anything Cyril Smith was even worse than Thorpe and the "nice" Liberal party top brass covered up for him too :mad:

Mr Jinx

As was the other **** in this photo.

View attachment 9898
Noncefinder General came along too late in the day!

angelic upstart

I just snuck onto the BBC news page to see the headline "Sunak threatens tough laws on strikes" it then goes on to say "he will act to protect lives and livelihoods"

Maybe rather than going for a few striking workers, he could look at the terrible state of policing, the judicial & prison system. Provide some better sentencing guidelines and actually try and stop crime rather than making new ones up to fit an agenda and try and stifle legal striking. Always annoys me that you can vote for the leader of the country (assuming you're a party member) online and have a simple majority of one for it to go ahead. But if you want to vote to strike, or not to strike it has to be by post, have to jump through hoops in order to get industrial action as it's based on 100% turn out. The folks striking now are overwhelming in favour of doing so. Almost every unionised area of the country has or will he striking and yet Sunak thinks making it harder will simply make it go away. An absolute shambles.

For clarity - I've only ever been a member of on one union in my life, which was the student union. I only joined that for the generous discounts that I received on certain purchases.

Rosencrantz

I just snuck onto the BBC news page to see the headline "Sunak threatens tough laws on strikes" it then goes on to say "he will act to protect lives and livelihoods"

Maybe rather than going for a few striking workers, he could look at the terrible state of policing, the judicial & prison system. Provide some better sentencing guidelines and actually try and stop crime rather than making new ones up to fit an agenda and try and stifle legal striking. Always annoys me that you can vote for the leader of the country (assuming you're a party member) online and have a simple majority of one for it to go ahead. But if you want to vote to strike, or not to strike it has to be by post, have to jump through hoops in order to get industrial action as it's based on 100% turn out. The folks striking now are overwhelming in favour of doing so. Almost every unionised area of the country has or will he striking and yet Sunak thinks making it harder will simply make it go away. An absolute shambles.

For clarity - I've only ever been a member of on one union in my life, which was the student union. I only joined that for the generous discounts that I received on certain purchases.
Ian Hislop said in an interview recently that people have forgotten how strikes work. The employer offers 5% rise. The Union's demand 15% rise. They settle for 11% and some tinkering with conditions. Now the Union's demand x% and the Government look to make striking illegal.

tavyred

Although brought to a head by public sector wages not keeping up with rampant war induced inflation, the p1ss poor industrial relations we are currently seeing have been decades in the making.
Thanks to Brexit and the pandemic, workers have power now and because wages are rising in the private sector you can’t simply tell public sector workers to go whistle.
The days of Governments glibly saying there isn’t the money for your pay rise are over.

Alistair20000

Although brought to a head by public sector wages not keeping up with rampant war induced inflation, the p1ss poor industrial relations we are currently seeing have been decades in the making.
Thanks to Brexit and the pandemic, workers have power now and because wages are rising in the private sector you can’t simply tell public sector workers to go whistle.
The days of Governments glibly saying there isn’t the money for your pay rise are over.
So where does the money come from to pay for these rises ?

tavyred

So where does the money come from to pay for these rises ?
Do you have the same curiosity as to how all those billion pound frigates we’re building on the Clyde are afforded?
Its all about choices Al, decent public services with decently remunerated staff or……..all the other stuff Governments spend money on.
My wife’s school is currently losing teaching assistants to the Tesco around the corner, looks like Tesco’s choice to pay its workers more is working don’t you?

Grecian2K

Now can we get this clear Tavy.

Are you actually (partly) blaming Brexit for this rampant inflation and the country being held to ransom by these nefarious "Union Barons"? - copyright Daily Mail.

As far as the rail industry is concerned, isn't that still largely "privatised" - or at least franchised - save for those portions where the previous carpetbaggers cut and run (and handed the bill back to the taxpayer) when their "dividends" were not worth getting out of bed for.

Now here's a revolutionary thought, at least for the rail strike. For years fare rises have been pegged to annual inflation (and the even more "inflationary" (and long discredited) RPI rather than CPI - and even then "plus a bit" as far as the arbitrarily selected "non-regulated" fares are concerned. (Another triumph for the "fat cats" over a supine so-called regulator*) This month the 2023 far rise should be decided - how about pegging it to the 2023 4% offered to the workers - with also a binding commitment that all of the Execs, Stakeholders etc are also reined in? Also add in the Energy Oiligarchs, Water Companies as well. (As far as the public sector is concerned the same logic could also be applied to the NHS quango chiefs/University "Vice Chancellors" etc etc)

PS: Just seen your last post Tavy. Bleddy hell :eek:. Welcome back "comrade" - viva la revolution!!! (Or has art hacked your account? :p). And as for those "billion pounds" - how about the billions spaffed on dodgy back-door Covid Contracts - with 10% reportedly going into the back pockets of many Tory donors and/or representatives? And the Daily Heil has the brass neck to raise that old trope about Labour Party finances - at least that Union money is, and always has been open and above board. Unlike a lot of the Tory financing over the years.

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Do you have the same curiosity as to how all those billion pound frigates we’re building on the Clyde are afforded?
Its all about choices Al, decent public services with decently remunerated staff or……..all the other stuff Governments spend money on.
My wife’s school is currently losing teaching assistants to the Tesco around the corner, looks like Tesco’s choice to pay its workers more is working don’t you?
It is indeed about choices but also unrealistic expectations on the part of too many people. Plenty of private sector workers are taking below inflation rises and if they ask for too much there won’t be a job.

Plenty of small businesses employing folk that are struggling and even on the point of collapse.

Colesman Ballz

Go for the jugular on feckers like Lady Mone, strip them of their titles and all their assets ?