• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
….and a land flowing with milk and honey.
That would be a nice add on once we got the basics right. :cool:

I'm with Arthur on the basics 'though.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster

How much is the Benefit Cap?
The current cap is:
  • £442.31 per week (£1,916.67 per month or £23,000 per year) for couples and lone parents in Greater London
  • £384.62 per week (£ 1,666,67 per month or £20,000 per year) for couples and lone parents outside Greater London
  • £296.35 per week (£1,284.17 per month or £15,410 per year) for single adults in Greater London
  • £257.69 per week (£1,116.67 per month or £13,400 per year) for single adults outside Greater London.

I have and will always stand by the issue is not the available benefits but the poorly paid / insecure nature of work.

I know people (Both single mums) whom want to work more to have some extra money, but end up losing more than they gain if they pick up overtime as there benefits reduce in lieu, but neither can get the guarantee of these additional hours as part of a contracted agreement.

angelic upstart

Could someone answer the question about how much income my imaginary 55 year old would receive? (Assume they are living mortgage free in a Band B house).

This is not a trick question, I simply don't know
Depends entirely on your situation fella. If you're a fit, single bloke with no dependants and renting (with less than 6k savings and no debt to the govt) you'll get £334.91 a month. There's no council tax to pay from that and if you're renting a one bed property/room in Plymouth you would receive a maximum of £448.76 towards the cost.

arthur

Depends entirely on your situation fella. If you're a fit, single bloke with no dependants and renting (with less than 6k savings and no debt to the govt) you'll get £334.91 a month. There's no council tax to pay from that and if you're renting a one bed property/room in Plymouth you would receive a maximum of £448.76 towards the cost.
So my 55 year old owner occupier who chooses to live on benefits will receive £334.91 per month. And this is a "viable lifestyle choice"?

angelic upstart

So my 55 year old owner occupier who chooses to live on benefits will receive £334.91 per month. And this is a "viable lifestyle choice"?
Yes, apparently so.

Rosencrantz

You can have up to 100% council tax reduction but I am not sure you would in your hypothetical scenario. Certainly I didn't get a full reduction when on UC. I certainly wouldn't like to go back on UC either as being a single male with no dependents, it isn't all it's cracked up to be. I would certainly dispute the term "living".

angelic upstart

You can have up to 100% council tax reduction but I am not sure you would in your hypothetical scenario. Certainly I didn't get a full reduction when on UC. I certainly wouldn't like to go back on UC either as being a single male with no dependents, it isn't all it's cracked up to be. I would certainly dispute the term "living".
My bad, apologies. Last time I was on the dole it was full relief and I'd assumed it had remained that way.

Oddly, when my wife and I were saving for the deposit we decided to spend a couple months living as if we were on JSA. It's okay for food and bills, but nothing else at all. We ended up working 7 days a week for most of that time because it's miserable.

Grecian2K

According to the "Blue Top" media most definitely so.
The Torygraph, Heil and the Excess repeatedly tell us so, therefore it must be true. :rolleyes:

arthur

That would be a nice add on once we got the basics right. :cool:

I'm with Arthur on the basics 'though.
"Housing is the first of the social services. It is also one of the keys to increased productivity. Work, family life, health and education are all undermined by overcrowded homes."

Winston Churchill, Conservatve manifesto, 1951

Grecian2K

Yet again Wishi-Washi-Rishi at PMQs being totally eviscerated by SKS and making even Truss's 49 day old lettuce look like a garden-fresh iceberg.

Chester By-election tomorrow. I'm surprise Jigzy hasn't been on already with his usual brand of right-wing psepholical expertise!