• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
..plus a universal right to affordable rented housing just as there is a universal right to free health and education provision

arthur

PS: I presume that you didn't actually read the article? Probably too busy fighting off the North London "Albanians" with your pitchfork.
Your first sentence is undoubtedly correct. But I doubt the veracity of the second one - the LTN has made it almost impossible for invading aliens to get anywhere near chez Jinx

tavyred

Universal Basic Income- you know it makes sense...
It would appear that 5 million of our number are actually currently engaged in a pilot scheme for UBI.😎

arthur

It would appear that 5 million of our number are actually currently engaged in a pilot scheme for UBI.😎
I'm never sure of this "living on benefits" being a viable option. If I'm 55 and unable/unwilling to seriously look for work because I've never felt fully recovered from long covid what sort of monthly income would I receive? Is this a realistic lifestyle choice as people seem to suggest?

Antony Moxey

I'm never sure of this "living on benefits" being a viable option. If I'm 55 and unable/unwilling to seriously look for work because I've never felt fully recovered from long covid what sort of monthly income would I receive? Is this a realistic lifestyle choice as people seem to suggest?
I might suggest for many that living on benefits is not only viable, but preferable. I know a number of people who have been offered extra hours at work that have turned them down because it would affect the amount of benefits they’d receive. They would rather have benefit money than wages.

arthur

I might suggest for many that living on benefits is not only viable, but preferable. I know a number of people who have been offered extra hours at work that have turned them down because it would affect the amount of benefits they’d receive. They would rather have benefit money than wages.
Could someone answer the question about how much income my imaginary 55 year old would receive? (Assume they are living mortgage free in a Band B house).

This is not a trick question, I simply don't know

Antony Moxey

Could someone answer the question about how much income my imaginary 55 year old would receive? (Assume they are living mortgage free in a Band B house).

This is not a trick question, I simply don't know
No idea, but the people I referred to range from 20s to 50s, have families and live in houses. Whether they’re their own or are rented I wouldn’t know.

arthur

No idea, but the people I referred to range from 20s to 50s, have families and live in houses. Whether they’re their own or are rented I wouldn’t know.
You are talking about people receiving in work benefits, so that their income is made up of a mixture of benefits and wages. This system is proven to be flawed as mentioned in post 46465.

What I'm asking about is the possibility that people can sustain a viable lifestyle purely on benefits, such as in the example I gave. I remain unconvinced that this is a lifestyle choice that most people would find acceptable

Alistair20000

..plus a universal right to affordable rented housing just as there is a universal right to free health and education provision
….and a land flowing with milk and honey.

arthur

….and a land flowing with milk and honey.
I would argue that with regard to a hierarchy of needs, having somewhere secure to live is more important than having access to free education