• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
But we have been electing populists. What was George Osborne's "Strivers v shirkers" narrative if not a populist one?
This made me laugh hard. George Osborne was no more a populist than Starmer is.

arthur

This made me laugh hard. George Osborne was no more a populist than Starmer is.
I was talking about his narrative, not him. I'll leave the ad hominem attacks to you...

Mr Jinx

Talking of Starmer's actual, perceived or hoped for disingenuousness I think this sums up the situation pretty accurately

Only the most hysterical would pronounce this a Brexit betrayal - the fact is that there was no manifesto outlining what Brexit would look like; as Cummings explained it would have been far too difficult to produce one since so many people wanted so many different things. We will remain outside the EU which is the only thing that The People voted for....
Please remind us how Labour's last attempt at playing both sides of the Brexit fence played out art?

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
How do you think the state system will deal with an estimated extra 50-100k intake were private fees to go up by 20%.
They wouldn't have to, because it won't happen. As previously discussed the estimated figure comes from a pro-private school lobby group and is probably rubbish.

Mr Jinx

They wouldn't have to, because it won't happen. As previously discussed the estimated figure comes from a pro-private school lobby group and is probably rubbish.
Lolz, I'd expect nothing less from the rubbishing denialist. So are you telling me private schools are exempt from normal rules of economics? If no one would be affected by an increase in fees, why don't they just double them? Heck no, just triple them.

You don't half spout some nonsense.

A 12% decline in numbers attending (ie 50k) were fees to go up 20% is very realistic. That'd push the top end fees up to nearly £50k PA! Maybe if the economy was having a boom time and top end taxes were relaxed then maybe 12% is a bit of a push.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lolz, I'd expect nothing less from the rubbishing denialist. So are you telling me private schools are exempt from normal rules of economics? If no one would be affected by an increase in fees, why don't they just double them? Heck no, just triple them.

You don't half spout some nonsense.

A 12% decline in numbers attending (ie 50k) were fees to go up 20% is very realistic. That'd push the top end fees up to nearly £50k PA! Maybe if the economy was having a boom time and top end taxes were relaxed then maybe 12% is a bit of a push.
Cool. You continue to doff your cap and subsidise my child's education then.

angelic upstart

Ouch, cool burn that la.

Mr Jinx

I'm more happy to do that than have us mere mortals see our system collapse Diane.

arthur

Please remind us how Labour's last attempt at playing both sides of the Brexit fence played out art?
He's only playing one side of the fence, the Brexit side. No talk of rejoining the EU, and as for the CU and SM The People gave no opinion on the matter. Starmer's on the same side of the fence as you are, so just suck it up. I have...

arthur

"Private school fees are VAT-exempt. That tax advantage allows the wealthiest in this country, indeed the very wealthiest in the globe, to buy a prestige service that secures their children a permanent positional edge in society at an effective 20 per cent discount …

The prime minister, quite rightly, wants to end burning injustices in our society. We could scarcely find a better way of doing that than ending tax advantages for the global super-rich and instead extending them to the vulnerable and voiceless. What better way to make next month’s budget a budget for social justice?"

Michael Gove 2017