• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
How sustainable do you think it is for the nation to be bringing in a similar number of people to the city of Leeds annually?
I haven’t the foggiest to be honest, I suspect ‘not very’.
Although you’re probably asking the wrong person, whenever I start dripping about the channel crossings I get preached at about us needing immigrants fill the gaps in the jobs market. In fact aren’t you usually one of them? 😉

lamrobhero

It seems to me that the immigration debate is one sided. Why are there so many shortage occupations? and what is the Government doing about it? I think that we need more grammar schools and a large amount of resources spent on "gifted pupils".

tavyred

Surprised to read yesterday that student visa’s allow the alleged student to bring dependent relatives with them.
A situation ripe for abuse you would think.

DB9

Surprised to read yesterday that student visa’s allow the alleged student to bring dependent relatives with them.
A situation ripe for abuse you would think.
You didn't know that? Been common place for ages, Those students pay huge amounts to study here and do have to pay for NHS and living costs etc so I'd imagine those that come here and bring dependents aren't short of a few quid with the costs involved, Also I did hear this morning they put up to £30bn into the UK economy and it must be a real positive that our Uni's are classed as one of the best that overseas students want to study here.

angelic upstart

I haven’t the foggiest to be honest, I suspect ‘not very’.
Although you’re probably asking the wrong person, whenever I start dripping about the channel crossings I get preached at about us needing immigrants fill the gaps in the jobs market. In fact aren’t you usually one of them? 😉
Yes I am. As you know, my opinions change with the weather. I'm just getting ready to moan at Labour voters once their new govt is formed :)

angelic upstart

It seems to me that the immigration debate is one sided. Why are there so many shortage occupations? and what is the Government doing about it? I think that we need more grammar schools and a large amount of resources spent on "gifted pupils".
I'm massively in favour of new grammar schools as much as anything because it's clear the school system isn't working currently.

tavyred

You didn't know that? Been common place for ages, Those students pay huge amounts to study here and do have to pay for NHS and living costs etc so I'd imagine those that come here and bring dependents aren't short of a few quid with the costs involved, Also I did hear this morning they put up to £30bn into the UK economy and it must be a real positive that our Uni's are classed as one of the best that overseas students want to study here.
……but a system still open to abuse, yes?
Which of course is my point. 👍

DB9

……but a system still open to abuse, yes?
Which of course is my point. 👍
Can't see it open to abuse, The people who come to study and their dependents have the financial means to support themselves, They will be at least the middle classes of those countries, They're not going to be the poorer people without a pot to pee in so become a burden. As I said, for a foreign student to study here it is at least 3 times the amount per year than British students, If their dependents do come over they will in the main be wealthy enough to support themselves or even work for their companies via the UK, I think we should be proud our country is one of the top places in te world to study and if they put curbs on numbers the Uni's here will lose a lot of money.

Oldsmobile-88

Only if they are studying for a Masters or PhD

elginCity

Should learn from the Danish immigration authorities, no messing about over there.

Two British illegal migrants to be deported for not submitting their residency paperwork in time.