• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
If Liz Truss really isn’t bothered about making unpopular decisions, she should tell the country that those people with jobs and with money are going to have it a bit tougher than normal for the next two years or so, and that the bottom 20% or so of the country in terms of wealth and income are going to find it really tough, so we need to support them.

The wealthy will have to have two holidays a year instead of three or four, they’ll have to drop down a level or two with their olive oil and their whiskey, and they’ll have to accept that life is a mixture of good years and not as good years, and this is a time when they will have a ‘not as good’ year or two, but it’s nothing compared to the bottom 20% or so.

Then she should increase the PA to £25k for 12 months, remove VAT from energy bills for 12 months, increase universal credit and maybe also increase the 20% tax band by another £10k or £20k to help middle England. But leave the top rates as they are and leave the CT rate increase as it was first announced as everyone had already priced it in.

Not afraid of making unpopular decisions? Bollox, she’s just pandered to the wealthy. Her recent decisions will only be unpopular with the people who have very little, and she doesn’t care about that. Like someone has already said, it’ll be interesting to see the reactions in the former red wall constituencies.
You left out a new relief for betting losses ;)

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Err...you too miss the lowering of the basic rate?
Sigh.

Read the ifs analysis. Only those above £155,000 will see a net benefit. I've posted the link twice now

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Hardly, I had you on ignore until a week ago. 😁
Then you wouldn't have known what he was replying to. 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Sigh.

Read the ifs analysis. Only those above £155,000 will see a net benefit. I've posted the link twice now
But without it, they'd have been even worse off. Can't they just be satisfied with being less worse off?!?

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Obviously. 🙄
I was responding to AU’s point about firms not increasing wages, they are but it’s being wiped out by high inflation.
So you agree that businesses aren't raising wages by enough then?

tavyred

Then you wouldn't have known what he was replying to. 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️
As you’re probably aware it’s hard sometimes to ignore someone if you view the thread on a device that isn’t logged in.
God knows I tried, but sometimes his ramblings just slipped through! 😁

tavyred

So you agree that businesses aren't raising wages by enough then?
Yes, I agree employers are generally not giving their workers 10%+ wage increases. 🙄

tavyred

Sigh.

As I suggested to you earlier things might change in future fiscal events……

Responding, Mr Philp said the IFS analysis "involves speculation about what future budgets may do with the various tax thresholds".
"This wasn't a full budget - it didn't address the question of tax thresholds and I'm not going to get into speculation about what they might do in the future."

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, I agree employers are generally not giving their workers 10%+ wage increases. 🙄
Right, so we wasted all that time to get back round to the fact you agree with AU. Zounds.

tavyred

Right, so we wasted all that time to get back round to the fact you agree with AU. Zounds.
Absolutely not, AU said firms had not played their part in raising wages, wage growth is actually quite healthy.
Only when you adjust wages with an external factor like high supply side inflation does the problem come.
It’s all about context old boy. 😎