• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
...with this somewhere near the top perhaps? ;)

Not right now no. A few years before I'm contributing to that sort of thing yet. Unlikely it will be Eton though. In fact, given that I currently have a daughter, very unlikely. Who knows what the future may hold though?

Compare and contrast:

Mail/Telegraph/Express headlines - along the lines of 'Tax cuts to turbocharge Britain'

Mail/Telegraph/Express headlines had a Labour chancellor made the exact same speech today - 'Pound slides on Labour's reckless gamble', 'Labour gamble with your future with magic money tree', 'Don't they realise there's a war 1,000 miles away to fund' etc etc etc.

But, but, but... Corbyn though...

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
meh, twas the same when the Leave vote came in. The City and markets don't like surprises which this was. The sky didn't cave in then and it won't now. Interesting to note that the £ has held up better against the Euro v the $. The US gaining strength as a safe haven given the woes in Europe. The US braver with its interest rate rises too. The pound plunging isn't all bad of course; it makes our products & services all the more attractive. When it was up at $1.4, it was way too high.

fred binneys head

Jesus, I remember when it was $2 : £, how expectations change.

DB9

Aparently this is a "Total Reset" of Government and a change from past Governments. Tell me, Which Government has been in charge for the past 12 years and which Politician has been in that Government for virtually all that time and voted time after time for all the policies that was put before her and went on national TV/Raido/Newspapers and every other media outlet to champion those policies but now seems to deny the very existence of those policies? :unsure: :unsure: 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

tavyred

Aparently this is a "Total Reset" of Government and a change from past Governments. Tell me, Which Government has been in charge for the past 12 years and which Politician has been in that Government for virtually all that time and voted time after time for all the policies that was put before her and went on national TV/Raido/Newspapers and every other media outlet to champion those policies but now seems to deny the very existence of those policies? :unsure: :unsure: 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Ah, the oft now used ‘12 years of a Tory Government’ Labour attack line!😁
Fair play to mad Lizzie, she ain’t gonna die wondering in her two years.
If it works, the electorate aren’t going to worry too much about the policies of Osborne and Sunak.
As per Jinxy, I’m finding the ‘feck it, we’re Tories’ mindset quite refreshing especially after the Johnson ‘all things to all people’ era.

Alistair20000

All I can say is....Now that's more like it!

And IR35 repealed (as of April)...praise the lord!!!!!

If that's the starting point, can't wait to see what's coming (ahead of a GE).
IR35 lives on Jinxy

It is just the ludicrously complicated and draconian 2017 and 2021 rules that will be repealed. These rules were interpreted by payers on the basis that IR35 applied irrespective of the facts.

What is more the government itself deliberately flouted its own rules by letting certain contractors stay outside IR35 when it led to work being refused in certain sectors. I think GCHQ contractors were given a free pass.

Onus back on the intermediary now to determine status with the undermanned plodders at HMRC unable to force compliance.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
If it works, the electorate aren’t going to worry too much about the policies of Osborne and Sunak.
As per Jinxy, I’m finding the ‘feck it, we’re Tories’ mindset quite refreshing especially after the Johnson ‘all things to all people’ era.
I don't think it can work in two years. Even if we suppose that trickle down economics works and these things will lead to growth that's not going to happen in two years. All that will have happened in that time is that the wealthy will have paid much less tax and the problems with public services will not have been fixed.

elginCity

ADD37050-B37E-4F18-A2A4-770080E745FD.jpeg

angelic upstart

I think you said similar a couple years back when Johnson started his tenure as PM.

What we're likely to get now is a two year fire sale of our rights and a nice few snouts in the trough and protection for the spivs in the city under the guise of them somehow being wealth creators (whilst using our money) whilst the real wealth creators (the working population) get ****** over daily