• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
When did I say their bias was only evident in interviews?
Maitlis got pinged for straying into commentary re. a diatribe about Cummings and lock down and Snow got caught singing an anti-Tory song at Glasto.
So no reason for Newsnight or C4 News being avoided by Government minister's then. If straying into commentary is used as an excuse for not giving interviews then no member of the government should go on GB News 🤷

tavyred

Again reading from Wiki, Ms M was sanctioned by her bosses for comments etc, To me if her bosses thinks she crossed the line and told her so, Isn't that what they're suppose to do? and why does that make the BBC bias?

The same for Snow too, He was sanctioned by C4 bosses, Again surely they told him what he can and can't do, Isn't that being responsible as a broadcaster?
If you remember you challenged me on my contention that the broadcast media has a general liberal leaning bias, I then provided you at your request with a couple cases where that bias was evident and you’re now saying that because the organisations they work for found against them, that proves the bias does not exist or is not a problem.
I do get the argument that people like me often get confused between legitimate scrutiny and biased reporting but ffs even the most jaundiced of onlookers must admit that the liberal left is over represented in the broadcast media. 🤷‍♂️

Mr Jinx

Amended for factuals

Still waiting for some examples of ultra (i.e. Frostian) policies that are so popular they will guarantee a Truss election victory. Three will suffice
A bit of a way to go yet until GE policies and manifesto promises are set in stone. But Truss's words on Sturgeon probably bagged the Tories a couple of million guaranteed votes there and then.

tavyred

So no reason for Newsnight or C4 News being avoided by Government minister's then. If straying into commentary is used as an excuse for not giving interviews then no member of the government should go on GB News 🤷
……..or conversely why entertain a news programme where the presenters struggle to contain their personal bias.
On GB News, apart from the chosen minister doing the breakfast rounds and the odd set piece recorded interview I can’t remember a situation where they’ve managed to bag a minister to talk about their brief as C4 News and Newsnight used to do.
Incidentally one of the delights of GB News is having to watch the proper TV journalists they employ (there are a few!) like Eammon Holmes and Alistair Stewart wince as they read out on air the rabidly right wing correspondence they get from their loyal viewership. 🤣

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
……..or conversely why entertain a news programme where the presenters struggle to contain their personal bias.
On GB News, apart from the chosen minister doing the breakfast rounds and the odd set piece recorded interview I can’t remember a situation where they’ve managed to bag a minister to talk about their brief as C4 News and Newsnight used to do.
Incidentally one of the delights of GB News is having to watch the proper TV journalists they employ (there are a few!) like Eammon Holmes and Alistair Stewart wince as they read out on air the rabidly right wing correspondence they get from their loyal viewership. 🤣
GB News literally has two shows hosted by Conservative MPs.

Rosencrantz

I cannot remember any news programme where the presenters struggle to contain their personal bias. They only ask questions that need to be asked. They might get frustrated at times with the lack of answers but that is politicians for you. Any personal bias appears to be with the viewer. There really is no real reason why politicians should avoid need programs apart from avoiding scrutiny. Bias in the news organisations and those presenting is a weak argument and you know it.

tavyred

GB News literally has two shows hosted by Conservative MPs.
Although GBN doesnt have the onerous constraints that public service broadcasters like C4 and the Beeb enjoys, I do admit to being confused as to how OFCOM deals with channels outside of those two. I guess just as there is no problem with the politics of two Tory MP’s presenting on GBN, there’s similarly no problem with Lammy and ‘The GobshIte’ presenting on LBC. It must be solely down to how they conduct themselves as they present the show.

DB9

If you remember you challenged me on my contention that the broadcast media has a general liberal leaning bias, I then provided you at your request with a couple cases where that bias was evident and you’re now saying that because the organisations they work for found against them, that proves the bias does not exist or is not a problem.
I do get the argument that people like me often get confused between legitimate scrutiny and biased reporting but ffs even the most jaundiced of onlookers must admit that the liberal left is over represented in the broadcast media. 🤷‍♂️
Was the bias on the news programmes they were presenting? Did both the people actually say something that undermined their impartiallity whilst on air. I know Jon Snow said something about a pro Brexit demo and was quite rightly pulled up for it but I'm saying those broadcasters did there job, Sanctioned them when they thought their tweets/remarks crossed a line, Again what makes those broadcasters bias?

What about GBNews or TalkTV, Are they biased? To me they're not because they have people who read headlines then the rest of the airtime are people they've employed who give their opinions on various subjects, To me (And of course you'll have a different view) the BBC/ITV/C4 etc don't have "Opinions" they interview the politicians/government of the day and challenge them on policies, Play devils advocate.

tavyred

I cannot remember any news programme where the presenters struggle to contain their personal bias.
Maitlis was literally pinged for just that.

DB9

Maitlis was literally pinged for just that.
Pinged by who?