• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
You’ve obviously not been looking hard enough.
I think I’m right in saying Government ministers are still refusing to go on C4 News and BBC Newsnight such is their perceived bias, as evidenced by Emily Maitlis’s public dressing down by her BBC bosses for bias and Jon Snow’s anti-Tory Glasto antics. GMB is just a daily government slag-off session and thats before we get to the myriad of panel shows populated almost entirely by lefty liberal comedians.
i haven’t mentioned McCarthy witch-hunts, I’m just flagging up the quite obvious liberal bias that exists.
C4 & The BBC news to me just report the news, Their other news type programmes who have Ministers on and should be challenged on their policies, If Labour were in Government they'd get the same, They are "Owned" by the Government aren't they? GMB to me is not a serious news programme, It's a magazine type show, Have the headlines then get two people in with opposite views and watch them slug it out, As for " Lefty Liberal Comedians" on panel shows, Of course they'll slag off/joke at the Government's expense, That's what they do because a Government makes decisions people don't like and there is plenty of material for them. Also recently people are turning away from this type of show, Mock the Week ending, The Daily Mash? also ended. In that field I want to be entertained, Not preached to and I think the viewers thought that and why they turned away. Ofcom rules are that they Govern the media (Not sure if online have to follow the rules) but I think we get it just about right in the UK, You may disagree but hey ho.

Mr Jinx

You’ve obviously not been looking hard enough.
I think I’m right in saying Government ministers are still refusing to go on C4 News and BBC Newsnight such is their perceived bias, as evidenced by Emily Maitlis’s public dressing down by her BBC bosses for bias and Jon Snow’s anti-Tory Glasto antics. GMB is just a daily government slag-off session and thats before we get to the myriad of panel shows populated almost entirely by lefty liberal comedians.
i haven’t mentioned McCarthy witch-hunts, I’m just flagging up the quite obvious liberal bias that exists.
BBC and C4 with their obvious bias aside, I was shocked whilst watching ITV news when at my parents last week (itv being banned in our house until the Masked Singer). I think it is probably more biased than the beeb and c4 put together, aided and abetted by ringmaster Peston.

IndoMike

Politicians have never liked being asked difficult questions but know it is part of the job, part of being accountable to the public. This government more than any have avoided this and claimed lefty bias as a weak excuse to play to their base. The correct word is perceived because it isn't actually a reality. How many times did Boris avoid the "lefty bias" of Andrew Neil, something Truss has now followed in doing. None of them would have gone near Paxman and would probably have avoided others like Day, Dimbleby and Frost having been shown up once as they would inevitably have been. Journalists who do their research and preparation to expose hollow positions taken up by any politicians. No chance this current intake have the capacity to stand up to it so much easier to avoid and slander them instead.

Bias has nothing to do with it, avoiding difficult questions and trying to pick a fight with the media to play to their supporters is all it is. Look at Truss repeatedly attacking the media in an interview with the right leaning but generally fair Tom Newton Dunn and including him in a broad general attack. She knew she was doing it for effect and cheap point scoring. Defenders of free speech? They are certainly not defenders of a free press by refusing to be held accountable by them.
It's that, but it's also simply the Trumpian tactic of trying to discredit those who challenge you. It's not just avoiding because they know their lies and false promises will be exposed.
I Iike the Radio 4:Today presenters : they don't hold back and push hard for answers.

IndoMike

It's not bias at all. They are simply doing their job of holding the Govt (which happens to have been a Tory Govt for the last 12 years) to account. They'd do the same if Labour got into power.
Those that say the BBC is biased are biased.

arthur

Let it go Tav.

One thing that's quite apparent with Tavy and Jinx is their refusal, when politely asked, to provide evidence, or explain their reasoning, after making sweeping generalisations or baseless assertions

Hence why they will deflect constantly, or resort to use of the ignore button if the questions get too difficult
Amended for factuals

Still waiting for some examples of ultra (i.e. Frostian) policies that are so popular they will guarantee a Truss election victory. Three will suffice

IndoMike

Still waiting for some examples of ultra (i.e. Frostian) policies that are so popular they will guarantee an Truss election victory. Three will suffice
You'll be lucky, mate. Been waiting for 3 years from Brexiters for one single example of a Brexit success.

tavyred

Politicians have never liked being asked difficult questions but know it is part of the job, part of being accountable to the public. This government more than any have avoided this and claimed lefty bias as a weak excuse to play to their base. The correct word is perceived because it isn't actually a reality. How many times did Boris avoid the "lefty bias" of Andrew Neil, something Truss has now followed in doing. None of them would have gone near Paxman and would probably have avoided others like Day, Dimbleby and Frost having been shown up once as they would inevitably have been. Journalists who do their research and preparation to expose hollow positions taken up by any politicians. No chance this current intake have the capacity to stand up to it so much easier to avoid and slander them instead.

Bias has nothing to do with it, avoiding difficult questions and trying to pick a fight with the media to play to their supporters is all it is. Look at Truss repeatedly attacking the media in an interview with the right leaning but generally fair Tom Newton Dunn and including him in a broad general attack. She knew she was doing it for effect and cheap point scoring. Defenders of free speech? They are certainly not defenders of a free press by refusing to be held accountable by them.
Maitlis and Jon Snow?
BTW, not denying BJ’s Government’s reluctance to get down and dirty with certain journalists, however the line “the Government has no one available for comment” has not begun and will
not end with this government.
The thing with the old school TV journalists of the past, I had no idea with most of them what their personal politics might be, that can’t be said with a lot of todays crowd IMO.

IndoMike

"Mr Sunk concentrated his efforts on the energy crisis, also pledging the creation of a new energy security task force and...."

Freudian slip from Sky News". Mr. Sunk ?

arthur

Poor art is getting carried away at the prospect of a Labour government next time.

I really fear for him if the next GE is 1992 rather than 1997.
Thank you Al for concern which is much appreciated though slightly misplaced. What carries me away is the prospect of the defeat of this odious government and its odious political culture. There has always been an unpleasant, nihilist, divisive element to right wing politics (see Mr J for further details and lolz based celebration of such an approach), but it has never infected the upper reaches of government as much as it has in this country since 2019. Its defeat will be a cause for national celebration - who actually forms the next government is a secondary issue.

I actually think a loose coalition government, with a restoring of public services and radical constitutional reform (Lords, PR, Devolved nations) at its heart, would be significantly preferable to an unadventurous Labour government, led by an unadventurous man with a small majority. Starmer could then move to the Home/Foreign Office or Ministry of Justice and Lisa Nandy could take over.

Given that by almost every indicator this country is in a worse state than when the Tories came to power in 2010 (Health, Housing, Poverty/inequality, Criminal Justice, standing in the world, etc. etc.) I cannot see how the Tories can possibly win. And while Tavy and Jinx celebrate the authenticity and political heft of the Daily Mail Brexit /Johnson diehards (bearing in mind that these people are a much smaller percentage of the population than their cosy worldview maintains,), no-one has mentioned the Tory Remainer vote which is not insubstantial and which is unlikely to vote for the Truss/Frost dream ticket

Last edited:

DB9

Maitlis and Jon Snow?
BTW, not denying BJ’s Government’s reluctance to get down and dirty with certain journalists, however the line “the Government has no one available for comment” has not begun and will
not end with this government.
The thing with the old school TV journalists of the past, I had no idea with most of them what their personal politics might be, that can’t be said with a lot of todays crowd IMO.
Maitlis no longer works for the BBC and Jon Snow is retired. (I will say, According to Wiki) If they are not on these broadcasters who are you aiming the bias at?