• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I know you are a staunch defender of democracy, but if you genuinely believe that the right-wing press has the power that you say it has, does that not bother you? You don't see a problem with a couple of billionaires having the power to choose who is PM?

I'm asking you to look at this objectively (more in hope than expectation).
Apparently these billionaires speak for the "Common Man" :rolleyes:

Phil Sayers

Churchill was born a Victorian and spent much of his formative years touring the Empire. His attitudes reflected that upbringing but were nothing unusual at the time. In fact they were considerably less 'jingoistic' than some of his contemporaries - see for example his unqualified condemnation of the Amritsar massacre in contrast to some who sought to justify it.

Mr Jinx

I know you are a staunch defender of democracy, but if you genuinely believe that the right-wing press has the power that you say it has, does that not bother you?
It used to bother me intensely in my formative left-leaning years. Now you could say I'm extremely relaxed about it. Lolz.

I do find rags like the Guardian live in some kind of cloud cuckoo land these days, whereas the Mail, amongst the hysteria, does hit the nail on the head from time to time. I guess it's just where I'm at.

tavyred

It used to bother me intensely in my formative left-leaning years. Now you could say I'm extremely relaxed about it. Lolz.

I do find rags like the Guardian live in some kind of cloud cuckoo land these days, whereas the Mail, amongst the hysteria, does hit the nail on the head from time to time. I guess it's just where I'm at.
…….and you could argue that a right leaning dominated written press is a welcome foil to an overwhelmingly liberal leaning bias that we see in broadcast/online media and arts/entertainment sectors.

DB9

…….and you could argue that a right leaning dominated written press is a welcome foil to an overwhelmingly liberal leaning bias that we see in broadcast/online media and arts/entertainment sectors.
Where is the liberal bias in broadcast/online media? Genuine Question because i don't see it. The art/entertainment sectors have always had a liberal side but we (Customers) choose what to be entertained by and "Vote" with our wallets, Surely you don't want to see the kind of "Macarthy Witchunts" like the US had in the 50's?

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

Surprise, suprise: 61 of the 100 most deprived areas in the UK have received no levelling up funds. For 68% of those that did receive funding, it did not make up for the amount lost in core funding since 2016.
Isn't the money going to go to Tonbridge Wells?

IndoMike

And there's ppl calling me the Master of Deflection on here. Straightbackatcha
Tavers is the master. You're the junior partner

IndoMike

Churchill was born a Victorian and spent much of his formative years touring the Empire. His attitudes reflected that upbringing but were nothing unusual at the time. In fact they were considerably less 'jingoistic' than some of his contemporaries - see for example his unqualified condemnation of the Amritsar massacre in contrast to some who sought to justify it.
Thanks for developing my comment about Churchill.

tavyred

Where is the liberal bias in broadcast/online media? Genuine Question because i don't see it. The art/entertainment sectors have always had a liberal side but we (Customers) choose what to be entertained by and "Vote" with our wallets, Surely you don't want to see the kind of "Macarthy Witchunts" like the US had in the 50's?
You’ve obviously not been looking hard enough.
I think I’m right in saying Government ministers are still refusing to go on C4 News and BBC Newsnight such is their perceived bias, as evidenced by Emily Maitlis’s public dressing down by her BBC bosses for bias and Jon Snow’s anti-Tory Glasto antics. GMB is just a daily government slag-off session and thats before we get to the myriad of panel shows populated almost entirely by lefty liberal comedians.
i haven’t mentioned McCarthy witch-hunts, I’m just flagging up the quite obvious liberal bias that exists.

Rosencrantz

Politicians have never liked being asked difficult questions but know it is part of the job, part of being accountable to the public. This government more than any have avoided this and claimed lefty bias as a weak excuse to play to their base. The correct word is perceived because it isn't actually a reality. How many times did Boris avoid the "lefty bias" of Andrew Neil, something Truss has now followed in doing. None of them would have gone near Paxman and would probably have avoided others like Day, Dimbleby and Frost having been shown up once as they would inevitably have been. Journalists who do their research and preparation to expose hollow positions taken up by any politicians. No chance this current intake have the capacity to stand up to it so much easier to avoid and slander them instead.

Bias has nothing to do with it, avoiding difficult questions and trying to pick a fight with the media to play to their supporters is all it is. Look at Truss repeatedly attacking the media in an interview with the right leaning but generally fair Tom Newton Dunn and including him in a broad general attack. She knew she was doing it for effect and cheap point scoring. Defenders of free speech? They are certainly not defenders of a free press by refusing to be held accountable by them.