• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thanks Al.👍
Taking of political anathema, I’m having trouble getting across to DB the fear in England of a Sturgeon reliant Westminster government Al, can you help?
Please don't, I'm genuinely not interested.

tavyred

Please don't, I'm genuinely not interested.
Your interest level does not trump the need to confront you with the ‘real politique’ of the English electorate DB. 😉

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks Al.👍
Taking of political anathema, I’m having trouble getting across to DB the fear in England of a Sturgeon reliant Westminster government Al, can you help?
I'm not sure it has the political cache you're ascribing to it. It certainly didn't when May repeatedly tried that line of attack in 2017. It's like how you're always going on about the Barnett formula, but if it was that big a vote winner, you can bet Truss would be all over it.

tavyred

I'm not sure it has the political cache you're ascribing to it. It certainly didn't when May repeatedly tried that line of attack in 2017. It's like how you're always going on about the Barnett formula, but if it was that big a vote winner, you can bet Truss would be all over it.
Barnett is the price Westminster is willing to pay to keep the Union together, if it went I don’t see the Union lasting very long. But you’re right, it’s a borderline obsession with me but has little or no cut through with the English electorate generally, although a lot more people of aware of it’s unfairness now than was the case.
Can I conceive of a situation where a very unpopular Tory Government is swept aside in England with no one unduly worrying about a SNP reliant Labour Government to replace it, of course I can. But in a tight race where the polls are close, it will be a hot topic especially in the right wing press desperate to deny Starmer the keys to number 10.

elginCity

..... it will be a hot topic especially in the right wing press desperate to deny Starmer the keys to number 10.
Why desperate ? Were they ever desperate to deny Blair the same set of keys ? Starmer is slowly occupying similar middle ground to Blair, minus beamy smile.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Barnett is the price Westminster is willing to pay to keep the Union together, if it went I don’t see the Union lasting very long. But you’re right, it’s a borderline obsession with me but has little or no cut through with the English electorate generally, although a lot more people of aware of it’s unfairness now than was the case.
Can I conceive of a situation where a very unpopular Tory Government is swept aside in England with no one unduly worrying about a SNP reliant Labour Government to replace it, of course I can. But in a tight race where the polls are close, it will be a hot topic especially in the right wing press desperate to deny Starmer the keys to number 10.
I just don't think it's ever going to be at the top of the priority list for anyone other than a small minority.

In my opinion, cost of living is the only thing that matters right now, and how Truss deals with it determines the result of the next GE. Sort it out and she wins, doesn't and she loses. Simple as that.

So far she's shown no inclination to do anything useful to address it, but I'm aware that anything that could address it would be poison to the Conservative membership, so I'm not surprised she's keeping quiet.

arthur

It would be interesting if the LDs offered the Conservatives a coalition on condition of a PR referendum.
Zero chance after last time

IndoMike

Sorry, bit it really makes me laugh when people discuss with such seriousness what Liz Truss will do to save the economy. She says she will go ahead with tax cuts and that floods of businesses will rush to the UK. The UK is not the only country doing that. And what about the labour shortage? And the lack of skills? And the general discontent? The tax cuts will have minor advantages but come with disadvantages, too .I mean, really, what evidence is there at all that she is anything but a 2nd rate Thatcher type who is not prepared to intervene but will just let the market prevail, leaving those that are in financial trouble to the wolves. Inaction will be the order of the day
Even a Telegraph writer says she'll beat Rishi but lose to Starmer. It's just such a joke that suddenly so many are in awe of this person whose stand-out quality is wannabe. It's like Jesus Christ has just landed on Planet Earth and will save the world. But the joke is on the UK.
What we need is a P.M who will lay it out on the table, tell the people that there will be blood, sweat and tears for the next 3 years,
and give stern warnings to big business that if they don't do more to help and make sacrifices then he'll / she'll make life difficult for them
We need a Churchill, but we are offered another clown after the two previous ones.
We need a Churchill, but we get a Truss.
😅😩

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry, bit it really makes me laugh when people discuss with such seriousness what Liz Truss will do to save the economy. She says she will go ahead with tax cuts and that floods of businesses will rush to the UK. The UK is not the only country doing that. And what about the labour shortage? And the lack of skills? And the general discontent? The tax cuts will have minor advantages but come with disadvantages, too .I mean, really, what evidence is there at all that she is anything but a 2nd rate Thatcher type who is not prepared to intervene but will just let the market prevail, leaving those that are in financial trouble to the wolves. Inaction will be the order of the day
Even a Telegraph writer says she'll beat Rishi but lose to Starmer. It's just such a joke that suddenly so many are in awe of this person whose stand-out quality is wannabe. It's like Jesus Christ has just landed on Planet Earth and will save the world. But the joke is on the UK.
What we need is a P.M who will lay it out on the table, tell the people that there will be blood, sweat and tears for the next 3 years,
and give stern warnings to big business that if they don't do more to help and make sacrifices then he'll / she'll make life difficult for them
We need a Churchill, but we are offered another clown after the two previous ones.
We need a Churchill, but we get a Truss.
😅😩
To be fair, Truss' attitude to minorities is likely to be similar to Churchill's

IndoMike

To be fair, Truss' attitude to minorities is likely to be similar to Churchill's
There were 2 Churchill's. Yes, we all know he was a colonialist and probably called Africans and Asians extremely uncomplimentary names, which I guess was the norm in his day but shouldn't be in ours.
But the fact remains that he was a tough old cookie who, arguably, but not alone, was absolutely the right person to face down the Nazis when Britain and the World was confronting an existential threat.
The working class Brits knew how to distinguish between his tiresome efforts to keep the spirit of the country alive during the ear and his Tory exclusivity, colonial attitudes, and his desire to maintain the hierarchy