• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Political vacuum? The only vacuum is between our so called leaders’ ears.

tavyred

Yes, the cult of Brexit bridged the north-south divide to deliver an 80 seat majority, and although there'll be no repeat of that, not as convinced as yourself that the Tory vote won't be large enough to scrape in. Main reason being, as Jinx reminds us, the right wing press is still fully behind this shower - and despite that influence diminishing, nobody can argue with their track record of backing every GE winner since way back. Sadly.

You obviously mean the ‘cult’ of democratic propriety.
Thankfully for every voter like you revelling in the parliamentary deadlock we found ourselves mired in in late 2019 there were more of us who recognised the democratic imperative that was Brexit just had to be realised.
That 80 seat majority was more important for our democracy than folks like you will ever realise.

Alistair20000

No, I'm not aware. Probably because that is your own interpretation not backed up by any facts, not even Exeweb facts .
I read somewhere recently that Brown did it to give the Treasury more time to work out financial concerns and to impress the financial institutions. Aren't you aware of those reasons?
You are too ready lap up the stated reason.

I had a brilliant teacher who taught us to look for the real reason rather than the stated reason.

Alistair20000

You obviously mean the ‘cult’ of democratic propriety.
Thankfully for every voter like you revelling in the parliamentary deadlock we found ourselves mired in in late 2019 there were more of us who recognised the democratic imperative that was Brexit just had to be realised.
That 80 seat majority was more important for our democracy than folks like you will ever realise.
Good to see you posting again on this thread Tavy 👍

IndoMike

You are too ready lap up the stated reason.

I had a brilliant teacher who taught us to look for the real reason rather than the stated reason.
Your opinion is obviously speculation. I can understand you being cynical, but cynicism is a state of mind, not evidence
Your brilliant teacher was not so brilliant, because he clearly didn't teach his students the difference between hard evidence and guesswork. You haven't dug deeper at all : you've only reaffirmed your opinion. Show me the hard facts that prove your thesis

Alistair20000

Your opinion is obviously speculation. I can understand you being cynical, but cynicism is a state of mind, not evidence
Your brilliant teacher was not so brilliant, because he clearly didn't teach his students the difference between hard evidence and guesswork. You haven't dug deeper at all : you've only reaffirmed your opinion. Show me the hard facts that prove your thesis
Oh dear.

Your criticism of that teacher is so much baseless rubbish for which you have no evidence.

The whole point of finding the real reason is to dig out the facts analyse the position and stand every proposition on its head and test it. That was part of what we were taught.

Cannot have been bad as I got an A in both A level history and British Constitution

IndoMike

Oh dear.

Your criticism of that teacher is so much baseless rubbish for which you have no evidence.

The whole point of finding the real reason is to dig out the facts analyse the position and stand every proposition ocn its head and test it. That was part of what we were taught.

Cannot have been bad as I got an A in both A level history and British Constitution
Congratz on your A level results.
Your teacher is an innocent victim in the search for truth. You made a statement, which I reacted to. Your statement that Brown empowered the BoE so that he could use it as a scapegoat is nothing more than idle gossip and conjecture. You have proved nothing and just waffled a la Johnson
Regarding besmirching the name of your teacher, you obviously didn't mind besmirching the good Gordon Brown's name.
If you can't show me the evidence for your assertion, then it's you that needs to dig deeper, not me.

Colesman Ballz

Miaow !

lamrobhero

The Chancellor used to set interest rates. The UK record in controlling inflation was very poor. The Barber boom which started the hyperinflation was an attempt to create a boom at election time - Chancellors cannot be trusted to take objective decisions.
I understand that West Germany had an excellent record in controlling inflation which I think was based on an independent central bank having responsibility for controlling inflation.
Rampant inflation in the USA was squeezed out by the Fed under the leadership of Mr Greenspan's predecessor (I forget his name).
The 1997 Labour Government gave up control in other areas - Monopolies and Mergers references, anti-competitive practices references.
Unrelenting cynicism and negativity is very wearing

IndoMike

I was gonna make a remark about ***** but I'll save it for another day .
Love my cats, Ballzy. They drive me nuts, do the craziest things....but I love 'em. I also like dogs, but more difficult keeping a dog here
Regarding my comments to Ali, it's never personal and I like the guy.. but he don't half talk some carp sometimes.