• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Be nice to know that while these crisis are unfolding and dire warnings on the economy and people's ability to pay their bills (Remember, They're not threatening to withold the money, They will just not have any money to pay, Big difference) WHERE THE F**K IS OUR GOVERNMENT?????????
The Govt is on summer hols, so the country is on hold / can go and do one.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
The blessed Margaret of course ensured that the support grant to the deprived London boroughs of Westminster and Wandsworth kept Council Tax/Community charge far below the levels of affluent boroughs like Newham. Not that anyone's done anything about this, despite 13 years of a Labour government. Current Band D levels:

Westminster £864.13
Wandsworth £898.19
Exeter £1372.59
Newham £1532.26

Rishi can relax, safe in the knowledge that privilege is entrenched
Newcastle £1627.01

I've said many a time that an easy levelling up win would be to standardise council tax across the country. Poorer areas get absolutely diddled.

DB9

The Govt is on summer hols, so the country is on hold / can go and do one.
The same as this time last year when the Taliban were over running Afghanistan and we were doing a "Siagon 1975" It seems to me that if any enemy of the UK want to do anything then just wait till the school summer holidays, Its easy then.

elginCity

Newcastle £1627.01

I've said many a time that an easy levelling up win would be to standardise council tax across the country. Poorer areas get absolutely diddled.
Swindon Central North - £2,000.86. :mad:

IndoMike

An analysis by the Guardian in February found that, under Boris Johnson’s “levelling up” agenda, some of the wealthiest parts of England, including areas represented by government ministers, were allocated 10 times more money per capita than the poorest.

It disgusts me to read this. It makes me want to vomit . I wish we could lock up Johnson and his tribe. And yet he'll saunter off and make millions lying about his achievements and having the nerve to advise others. It really is just too much

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

Apparently prior to Thatcher the UK was the most equal Country in Europe apart from Sweden

Makes you wonder what would have happened if Sir Alfred Broughton hadn't got sick!

IndoMike

Apparently prior to Thatcher the UK was the most equal Country in Europe apart from Sweden

Makes you wonder what would have happened if Sir Alfred Broughton hadn't got sick!
Good research, Suze

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

Good research, Suze
Thanks !! I am fascinated by one of those what if moments , somewhere there's a parallel universe where Jim Callaghan stayed on as Prime Minister and Peter Walker is leader of the opposition,

'Thatcherism' therefore never happened and the left of centre consensus remained in place and we enjoyed a Scandinavian standard of welfare state and equality.

The winter of discontent also dissipated when the Labour Party introduced German style industrial relations/structures with workers representatives on the boards of all major companies (repeatedly mentioned in the Tory '79 manifesto. And proposed most recently by Theresa May)....

IndoMike

Thanks !! I am fascinated by one of those what if moments , somewhere there's a parallel universe where Jim Callaghan stayed on as Prime Minister and Peter Walker is leader of the opposition,

'Thatcherism' therefore never happened and the left of centre consensus remained in place and we enjoyed a Scandinavian standard of welfare state and equality.

The winter of discontent also dissipated when the Labour Party introduced German style industrial relations/structures with workers representatives on the boards of all major companies (repeatedly mentioned in the Tory '79 manifesto. And proposed most recently by Theresa May)....
Will reply, but knackered at the mo.

IndoMike

Hype?