• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
While in theory I'd agree about seeking a new mandate, that does start to go down the slippery slope of a presidential style of government.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
That's just the way it works, innit. Why else would we have had a PM Gordon Brown?

At least with the Tories, there is some kind of choice.
Doesn’t make for a good system though does it especially citing Brown as an example. Neither party and their policies has appealed to me for some considerable time and I have little interest in either of them these days.Sometimes I have difficulty telling them apart.

Mr Jinx

Doesn’t make for a good system though does it especially citing Brown as an example. Neither party and their policies has appealed to me for some considerable time and I have little interest in either of them these days.Sometimes I have difficulty telling them apart.
There are other options, even with FPTP.

arthur

While in theory I'd agree about seeking a new mandate, that does start to go down the slippery slope of a presidential style of government.
Agree. A party has been elected with a mandate to deliver its manifesto. Who leads it is a secondary issue, particularly if the government programme is largely unchanged....

DB9

Agree. A party has been elected with a mandate to deliver its manifesto. Who leads it is a secondary issue, particularly if the government programme is largely unchanged....
I'd agree if those that wanting to be leader/PM will "Deliver its manifesto" but these two seem to spend an awful lot of time dissing the Government's programme and distancing themselves from it.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nothing to see here... just the would-be PM proudly announcing that he took funding away from deprived areas.
More remarkable still, he remains the most plausible of the two candidates to succeed Johnson.

angelic upstart

Nothing to see here... just the would-be PM proudly announcing that he took funding away from deprived areas.
More remarkable still, he remains the most plausible of the two candidates to succeed Johnson.
I think he's got a point. Places like Devon are massively underfunded when compared to many cities and it isn't fair.

Not to say, that I'd trust him to give it to the places that need it most.

DB9

I think he's got a point. Places like Devon are massively underfunded when compared to many cities and it isn't fair.

Not to say, that I'd trust him to give it to the places that need it most.
He was going to the give money to "Deprived" areas like Tunbridge Wells instead, Rough old place that! 🙄

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

Rishi Sunak boasting about moving funding from deprived urban areas to the 'deprived' leafy Tunbridge Wells
WTF - I don't think you're supposed to admit that in public Rishi!

arthur

Rishi Sunak boasting about moving funding from deprived urban areas to the 'deprived' leafy Tunbridge Wells
WTF - I don't think you're supposed to admit that in public Rishi!
The blessed Margaret of course ensured that the support grant to the deprived London boroughs of Westminster and Wandsworth kept Council Tax/Community charge far below the levels of affluent boroughs like Newham. Not that anyone's done anything about this, despite 13 years of a Labour government. Current Band D levels:

Westminster £864.13
Wandsworth £898.19
Exeter £1372.59
Newham £1532.26

Rishi can relax, safe in the knowledge that privilege is entrenched