• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Would have been nice to see the impact of recent price drops for oil / petrol and its impact on the overall inflation rate before acting - supply-led inflation is always a different beast too. Interest rate rises won't, IMO, curb inflation rather it will put the brakes on the already fragile economy.

Anyway, tomorrow evening I shall be attending something in our constituency with a member of Liz Truss' team, don't know who as yet but I'm going to guess at it being Kwasi Kwarteng (whose constituency is close to ours).

Next Friday, if I can do a bit of POETs, I may potentially meet Rishi Sunak.

I've also booked my ticket for the London hustings event on August 31st.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Always dangerous to assume. That is why Indo constantly goes down a rabbit hole ……

Watch out else we’ll call you Alice20000

Last edited:

DB9

Always dangerous to assume. That is why Indo constantly goes down a rabbit hole.

The article made the point about increased and increasing judicial activism with unelected judges poking their noses into areas which are political for elected government to deal with. We can kick out governments at elections but not judges.

So we don’t need to elect judges. The judges just need to stick to their job and avoid mission creep.
Is it "Mission Creep" or is it a case of making decisions you personally don't agree with? Judges have to make decisions on how they see the evidence and sometimes its not what we like but i think as a whole we need the ECHR otherwise our Government will say they'll get an equivilent court sorted saying it will be for the UK but that to me is a Politically motivated court which could be put under pressure from the Government of the day and we could find ourselves with very unjust rulings. Look at the US and their Supreme Court and the Judges are openly Republicans or Democrats and influenced by Politicians.

DB9

Would have been nice to see the impact of recent price drops for oil / petrol and its impact on the overall inflation rate before acting - supply-led inflation is always a different beast too. Interest rate rises won't, IMO, curb inflation rather it will put the brakes on the already fragile economy.

Anyway, tomorrow evening I shall be attending something in our constituency with a member of Liz Truss' team, don't know who as yet but I'm going to guess at it being Kwasi Kwarteng (whose constituency is close to ours).

Busy time for you then Jason? These two do not inspire me at all, I'd been far more happier if the two that were left were from the candidates who had none or the least involvement of Johnson's Government because at the moment its like the Shaggy Song "It wasn't me" Totally distancing themselves from the last few years and virtually denying the collective responsibillity they shared.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Busy time for you then Jason? These two do not inspire me at all, I'd been far more happier if the two that were left were from the candidates who had none or the least involvement of Johnson's Government because at the moment its like the Shaggy Song "It wasn't me" Totally distancing themselves from the last few years and virtually denying the collective responsibillity they shared.
Let's just say I wasn't exactly impressed with our MPs in who they selected - neither Sunak nor Truss were high up on my list (much like last time with Boris and Hunt).

Far be it for me to praise the red lot, but their method is much better - if we had candidates getting the endorsement of a %age of MPs then automatically being on the ballot, then it would give us plebs a wider (and better) choice of candidates. There was a meme when there were still around five candidates left that said something like "Who the members want: Badenoch and Mordaunt. Who the MPs will give them: Sunak and Truss". Sadly we could see it coming a mile off.

Whoever wins (and let's face it, it will be Truss), we'll have two years of them then probably a Labour government.

DB9

Let's just say I wasn't exactly impressed with our MPs in who they selected - neither Sunak nor Truss were high up on my list (much like last time with Boris and Hunt).

Far be it for me to praise the red lot, but their method is much better - if we had candidates getting the endorsement of a %age of MPs then automatically being on the ballot, then it would give us plebs a wider (and better) choice of candidates. There was a meme when there were still around five candidates left that said something like "Who the members want: Badenoch and Mordaunt. Who the MPs will give them: Sunak and Truss". Sadly we could see it coming a mile off.

Whoever wins (and let's face it, it will be Truss), we'll have two years of them then probably a Labour government.
I can't disagree with any of the above. Also the sniping between the two candidates and their respective teams i think the Tories will look like a divided party and the voters don't like divided parties, Even when its done and dusted and they'll be a love in for a while, There are divisions that will fester imo.

Mr Jinx

Out of interest, where is your x landing?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Out of interest, where is your x landing?
I'm still fairly open (in that I'm not keen on either of them), likely to be Sunak but that could change in the coming weeks once I've had the opportunity to listen to them properly. I don't like the way Truss has operated throughout, which has put me slightly on the Sunak side of the fence.

It was something of a surprise to me that Penny went in behind Truss, although that could have been a case of hedging bets ahead of a leading role under the new leader.

Mr Jinx

I'm still fairly open (in that I'm not keen on either of them), likely to be Sunak but that could change in the coming weeks once I've had the opportunity to listen to them properly. I don't like the way Truss has operated throughout, which has put me slightly on the Sunak side of the fence.

It was something of a surprise to me that Penny went in behind Truss, although that could have been a case of hedging bets ahead of a leading role under the new leader.
Yes, there has been a fair bit of dark arts and holding noses. But hey, dat's politics!

arthur

Speaking of Kwarteng, I learn from Mrs Swire that he was Amber Rudd's lover. Not many people know that