• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
The membership in my echo chambers continue to coalesce behind Penny, Truss and Kemi Badenoch, with Rishi nowhere to be seen.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
To be honest, Banksy, I don't give a goat's arse who wins it. None of them are fit to grace no 10. We have only had 2 worthy leaders since 1940 : Churchill (who also was from the elite but played a huge part in carrying the country through a dire existential threat) and Attlee.
But this Tory gang is the pits. The worst.
To me the character of the leader is the key. This lot are self-serving, hypocritical, devious, opportunistic toadies. Who in their right mind would want the likes of these to lead them? Would you want any of them in the trenches beside you?
In answer to your last sentence , as Tom was a serving officer in Iraq maybe him if he’s a good shot.😀

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
The membership in my echo chambers continue to coalesce behind Penny, Truss and Kemi Badenoch, with Rishi nowhere to be seen.
I still think there will be a concerted effort to get him into the last two, and all bar his hardcore following is going to turn towards the "refresh" candidate.

arthur

O.K. all understood.

The assumption of a Tory defeat at the next GE was precisely that: an assumption and not my opinion that it would happen. The assumption was required to move on to the Kemi part.

It seems to me that Kemi is indeed setting out a pitch to the right of the party. As you say, would the membership buy in. Irrespective of that I remain of the view she is one to watch.
When the Tories lose the next election anything is possible. It's not a case of a party who knows what it is, has got a bit tired and needs to dust itself down and reinvigorate itself. This is a party that has been utterly transformed by Johnson and Brexit into a mish mash of disparate elements which is likely to fragment.

If the incoming coalition government bring in PR then who knows what might happen.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Lol. So you think Roops will suddenly back Labour who may well turn tail on Brexit (despite their weasel words)? I'll have some of what you're smoking mate!
I'm not sure I'm the one smoking, though to keep replying to you, perhaps you have a point. :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

Only in your world is Brexit not done, even if getting it done was a cobbled together pot of slop. You prove the point that Brexit is a different thing to many people, so it'll almost never be pure enough for someone such as yourself and the departed Tavy. There will always be another things to get enraged about. I notice it's the ECHR that's now in the right's sights, even if it has been signed up to and not withdrawn from (although now it isn't doing what we are telling it to do, I guess that'll be the next "taking back control").

What you're afraid of is that someone may strike up a relationship with the EU that isn't adversarial, which seems to be the 2019-2022 modus operandi.

arthur

I still think there will be a concerted effort to get him into the last two, and all bar his hardcore following is going to turn towards the "refresh" candidate.
As I said earlier, the MPs' clear favourite overwhelmingly rejected by the membership brings to mind IDS and Corbyn. What think you, Jason?

Spoonz Red E

So today so far ...

Sunak when asked about his recent record...
"People don't want to look back. We need to look forward".
Who are these 'people'? The people in his head?
I'm getting tired of politicians assuming they are the people.

Truss
No detail given or many questions answered but ...
"I'm standing as a Conservative.
I will lead as a Conservative.
I am ready to lead from Day 1."
Remarkable.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
As I said earlier, the MPs' clear favourite overwhelmingly rejected by the membership brings to mind IDS and Corbyn. What think you, Jason?
Yes, it's a fair assumption to make that both were elevated to the top job in their party despite their MPs. I really hope there isn't a stitch up this time, early signs are OK.

angelic upstart

This is one of the rare occasions where the echo chamber actually means something.

I think Badenoch & Truss will take my early outsider Bravermans MP votes. Late on I see Truss taking Badenoch and pipping Penny to the post. I really want to be wrong as Truss would be pretty much my last choice.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
This is one of the rare occasions where the echo chamber actually means something.

I think Badenoch & Truss will take my early outsider Bravermans MP votes. Late on I see Truss taking Badenoch and pipping Penny to the post. I really want to be wrong as Truss would be pretty much my last choice.
Truss for me is an effective lieutenant but not a general.