• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
The scenario you describe would obviously require an individual PCC to go if he/she became a criminal. What we’re seeing with Khan I think is an overtly political figure overstepping his remit of strategic oversight of a police service and instead questioning individual police investigations for political advantage. Not good.
But aren't PCC's by their nature political? They're voted in standing for a certain political party. To me they're a waste of time and no one knows their local one in the main and when it comes time to elected them the turn out is pitiful.

tavyred

But aren't PCC's by their nature political? They're voted in standing for a certain political party. To me they're a waste of time and no one knows their local one in the main and when it comes time to elected them the turn out is pitiful.
I think the idea is that an individual PCC can exercise a political bent in their strategic oversight of their local force but to comment on and ergo pressure the police in an individual investigation is not part of their role, or it isn’t as I understand it.
To see how these situations should be handled, compare and contrast Khan with the Durham PCC. 😉

arthur

Certainly is tedious, Tav.

Today no doubt the airwaves will be full of more insincere ‘apologies’ - not for the wanton lawbreaking, but for the blatant lying about it afterwards. Hopefully, he’ll cling onto power and stumble on ….
Do you think Tavy will ever get this? He and his ilk seem fixated on the activities in Durham and London, drawing false equivalences between them and saying there only of any import because they've been overly politicised and most people don't care that much anyway (doubtful, but we'll let that go).

But the big issue is Johnson's lying to the Commons - "I was in a room groaning with empty bottles with people sitting on each others laps, but there were no parties and all rules were followed at all times". Still, I suppose if you are ardent fan of direct democracy, the House of Commons doesn't matter that much anyway. It's full of politicians who all lie, so why pick on just one of them?

DB9

I think the idea is that an individual PCC can exercise a political bent in their strategic oversight of their local force but to comment on and ergo pressure the police in an individual investigation is not part of their role, or it isn’t as I understand it.
To see how these situations should be handled, compare and contrast Khan with the Durham PCC. 😉
Putting pressure on in any circumstances is wrong, I'm hoping that No10 didn't put pressure on the out going Met Chief or possible new one to get the result they wanted? That I guess we'll never know.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Penny isn't bald.

(Hello all!)

arthur

Putting pressure on in any circumstances is wrong, I'm hoping that No10 didn't put pressure on the out going Met Chief or possible new one to get the result they wanted? That I guess we'll never know.
Talking of political interference...

Boris Johnson’s attempt to appoint a former Metropolitan police commissioner into another senior police role has prompted a furious backlash from three high-profile victims of the VIP paedophile ring scandal.

The widow of the late former home secretary Leon Brittan, the family of the late war hero Lord Bramall, and the former Tory MP Harvey Proctor have demanded that the prime minister reconsider whether Bernard Hogan-Howe is suitable to be the head of the National Crime Agency after presiding over the disastrous Operation Midland.

Johnson, a close associate of Hogan-Howe, has requested that he is considered for the role, despite his rejection by an independent panel. At present, there is a shortlist of two highly qualified police chiefs who had been interviewed by Priti Patel, the home secretary.

Boris Johnson is understood to have been unhappy that Lord Hogan-Howe, the former Metropolitan Police commissioner, who has supported him politically, did not reach the final round.

Two highly qualified candidates, who made it through a five-month process for a final “fireside chat” with Priti Patel, the home secretary, were told last week that they had not got the job. Government sources confirmed that Neil Basu, a Metropolitan Police assistant commissioner, and Graeme Biggar, the interim director-general of the NCA, had been informed that the recruitment process would be reopened.

It is also likely to be awkward for the home secretary given that so many senior policing leaders saw Basu as the best qualified person for the job. Many believe that Basu, a former head of counterterrorism, would have been the clear frontrunner had he not upset Johnson by being outspoken about matters of race.

(Please forward to Tavy for his consideration)

Last edited:

lamrobhero

For normal criminal investigations there is a legal requirement for a paper trail in relation to the conduct of an investigation to facilitate disclosure to the defence if it gets to court. Also the file will get sent to the Crown Prosecution Service for consideration. A decision not to prosecute could be on the basis either that there was insufficient evidence or that whilst there was sufficient evidence as a matter of policy it would not be pursued.

In relation to Fixed Penalty Notices (FPNs) I do not know what the procedure would be. If I was to be issued with a FPN for dropping litter for example I imagine that would be it procedure wise. Although I would have the option of challenging it in court.

The point of FPNs is that they are intended to be simple to use with no big bureaucratic burden.

Alistair20000

Penny isn't bald.

(Hello all!)
Good to hear from you Jason (y)

Penny also looked good in the red swimming costume.

I thought you had moved on from Penny to the wretched Heidi Allen ? ;) Guess that all turned to worm when she committed treason.

IndoMike

Penny isn't bald.

(Hello all!)
Welcome back, Jason. I have to ask you : Are you still a Raab fan or rather disappointed in his non-performance?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Heidi was a very brief flirtation before it turned out she was a CINO - it was Penny all along.