• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
t’s been a feature of U.K. politics for the last 30/40 years to give a particular party a 10 to 15 period to govern and then vote in a new broom to take over, but that new broom as with Thatcher and Blair needs to capture the imagination of the public, to do that Labour has to be radical.
Same old, same old, doesn’t get Labour into power.
Corbyn too same old, same old and not radical enough?

tavyred

Corbyn too same old, same old and not radical enough?
Absolutely not.
I voted for him first time round (so did Jinxy!)😄.

Alistair20000

Those that would want a Labour Government, tend to obsess about why other people vote Tory for some reason. IMO Labour has had nothing significant to say to certain demographics since the Blair era, other than to say you’d be truly stupid to vote Tory of course. How many times do posters on here use the word “duped” to explain recent Tory electoral success. If it’s incredibly unwise for a working class voter to vote Tory, don’t tell them they’ve been duped, give them a compelling alternative instead.
SKS has intimated he’s going to get radical with his plans for the country and has even invoked memories of Attlee and 1945 to suggest how radical he wants to be.
It’s in Labour’s gift to rise above the culture wars they can never win and speak directly to an electorate that is in my opinion tired of the old politics and open to wholesale constitutional reform. There are things like scrapping the House of Lords or cleaning up politics (lobbying etc.) that the Tories simply cannot do. There’s evidence that people in England now quite like power being devolved down to them via mayors and city regions, SKS can again steal a march on the Tories by being radical in that regard. There’s talk of SKS offering the jocks a vote on full fiscal autonomy, that would open the door to the U.K. being federalist entity for the first time, that would have ramifications for the rest of the U.K. if it happened and maybe capture the zeitgeist as to how people want to be governed.
It’s been a feature of U.K. politics for the last 30/40 years to give a particular party a 10 to 15 period to govern and then vote in a new broom to take over, but that new broom as with Thatcher and Blair needs to capture the imagination of the public, to do that Labour has to be radical.
Same old, same old, doesn’t get Labour into power.
An excellent analysis.

If Sir Keith wants to be radical, looking back to Attlee and the solutions of the 1940’s is not the best place to start.

angelic upstart

A bit of a coughing and spluttering riposte by Starmer I thought to Sophie Raworth when she asked him to explain the ‘get-together’ in a constituency office in Hartlepool last year. Apparently the food for everyone “just appeared”. 🤣
No comparison with the alleged wall to wall parties at number 10 of course.
In fairness, it's clear he was at work. Quite why politicians need to drink and work is something from the 80's and isn't really part of work culture outside of the city in the UK. The faster, the decisions this country make arent made on the golf course, and the pub. The faster things will improve.

Mr Jinx

Hitchens nails it for me today...

Looking back, the whole lockdown restriction thing was ridiculous.

The only think we can be thankful of is that Labour in power would've locked us down sooner, harder and for longer.

Alistair20000

The only think we can be thankful of is that Labour in power would've locked us down sooner, harder and for longer.
Yep spot on.

That said, those in power scared the pants off Joe Public: next blood chilling slide please Chris/Patrick/JVT, so the reaction of the Public was kind of understandable.

angelic upstart

1) I think that's what will annoy the public, the day as we say, not as we do stuff.

2) We don't know that, but I suspect things will have been done very differently.

tavyred

In fairness, it's clear he was at work. Quite why politicians need to drink and work is something from the 80's and isn't really part of work culture outside of the city in the UK. The faster, the decisions this country make arent made on the golf course, and the pub. The faster things will improve.
I dunno I’ve made some of my best decisions when I’ve been three sheets to the wind!!😄
TBH, I’m as bothered by SKS eating and having a beer indoors with others as I am by BJ sitting outside in his back garden for 25 mins. Which isn’t very much.

angelic upstart

I'm not fussed by what others do, it's their life. But it irks me that I wasn't allowed to do it, if I did, the neighbourhood stasi would've contacted plod and I'd have received a fat fine. The fact that these people made those rules annoys me more.

In addition, I'm mildly irked that the PM is getting all the heat, when quite clearly others heads should be on the chopping block.

I've definitely made some poor life choices when on the binge!

Alistair20000

I'm not fussed by what others do, it's their life. But it irks me that I wasn't allowed to do it, if I did, the neighbourhood stasi would've contacted plod and I'd have received a fat fine. The fact that these people made those rules annoys me more.

In addition, I'm mildly irked that the PM is getting all the heat, when quite clearly others heads should be on the chopping block.

I've definitely made some poor life choices when on the binge!
This (y)