• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Possibility of more damaging revelations which seem to be originating from Dominic Cummings.

Someone who was thought to be the most powerful man in British politics may still have the cunning & the ability to topple the Prime Minister.

This makes me wonder how many of the achievements attributed to Boris ie uniting the Tory Party, winning the 2019 GE & getting Brexit done were masterminded by Cummings . Boris was just the charismatic front man.
Think it was Marina Hyde who mentioned that it is, apparently, an open secret that there are photos in circulation of a number of cabinet ministers, as well as the PM, at 'a work event'. Assume it's a question of when rather than if.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Think it was Marina Hyde who mentioned that it is, apparently, an open secret that there are photos in circulation of a number of cabinet ministers, as well as the PM, at 'a work event'. Assume it's a question of when rather than if.

This might also explain go some way towards explaining why, thus far, the cabinet has stood behind Johnson.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
What price a hammer blow revelation in the Sunday’s tomorrow?
A sort of a coup de grace on BJ’s political career if you will.

Tim Long

I don’t think alcohol consumption is banned on government premises. Nothing in the Civil Service Conduct Code to suggest it is.
Splice the mainbrace !

DB9

The thing that gets me is that Johnson, Rees-Mogg etc are so "Establishment" its scary, They have grown up with a total sense of entitlement all their lives, Thinking they make the rules but not adhere to them. It seems to me there are some double standards as well with voters, Even on here Johnson and Co seem to be the saviour of the UK and they are free to do what they want because they speak well and quote Latin but when Angela Rayner stands up and says what she feels she is treated like some "Gobshite Northener" who can't speak properly. Just total inverted snobbery by people imo, Its like just because Johnson and Co went to posh, private schools it somehow makes them more intelligent and "Better" than us, Well all i can say, You can pay a fortune for an Education but it doesn't make you "Better" because you can quote Latin.

arthur

The thing that gets me is that Johnson, Rees-Mogg etc are so "Establishment" its scary, They have grown up with a total sense of entitlement all their lives, Thinking they make the rules but not adhere to them. It seems to me there are some double standards as well with voters, Even on here Johnson and Co seem to be the saviour of the UK and they are free to do what they want because they speak well and quote Latin but when Angela Rayner stands up and says what she feels she is treated like some "Gobshite Northener" who can't speak properly. Just total inverted snobbery by people imo, Its like just because Johnson and Co went to posh, private schools it somehow makes them more intelligent and "Better" than us, Well all i can say, You can pay a fortune for an Education but it doesn't make you "Better" because you can quote Latin.
Yes, it has always struck me as a bit strange that the "working class revolt" that was Brexit (see Claire Fox, Brendan O'Neill and other Revolutionary Communist Party people now ensconced in the new right) was led by this bunch of posh boys who, like Trump over the water, don't give a flying feck for their supporter base.....

arthur

Evens, and shortening....

Alistair20000

Very possible.

tavyred

I take it you mean me DB. 😎
BJ’s and the Moggsters antecedence has never bothered me TBH, it bothers other people, usually their political opponents as its used as a handy narrative to use against them, you’ve just done it yourself.
My issue with AR has nowt to do with her working class roots, it’s the fact that I find her brand of left wing firebrand (gobsh*ite) class warrior politics deeply unattractive as a voter, and whisper it quietly so does SKS. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Alistair20000

I take it you mean me DB. 😎
BJ’s and the Moggsters antecedence has never bothered me TBH, it bothers other people, usually their political opponents as its used as a handy narrative to use against them, you’ve just done it yourself.
My issue with AR has nowt to do with her working class roots, it’s the fact that I find her brand of left wing firebrand (gobsh*ite) class warrior politics deeply unattractive as a voter, and whisper it quietly so does SKS. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I agree with you on Angela Rayner. I see nothing that encourages me to believe she would be any good in playing a part at competently governing the country. And yes, Sir Keith agrees but was politically too weak to marginalise her.

Furthermore, upbringing, social class, education don't come into it. Judge each person on their merits; or lack of merits.