• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
I've been whining on for years that he's a lying, duplicitous fool with no plan. I also once wrote on this thread that Starmer could simply wait for him to fall on his own sword. Fwiw, I think Starmer would be a terrible leader too.

Oldsmobile-88

The quickly arranged national covid updated seems to have been arranged with indecent haste after the revelations in the past 24 hours.
Its been reported that only 3 members of the Cabinet supported a move to that level only a couple of days ago.

The graphs shown at the briefing were flat on hospitalisations & deaths.The scare graph of course were the new O strain of Covid,which the two esteemed SAGE members both said they did not know if it was more deadly,just more transmissible.
No way would BJ have signed off on plan B before the recent embarrassments.
A handy distraction ?

Alistair20000

I've been whining on for years that he's a lying, duplicitous fool with no plan. I also once wrote on this thread that Starmer could simply wait for him to fall on his own sword. Fwiw, I think Starmer would be a terrible leader too.
I am at the point with Bunter where I think anyone would be a better option.

tavyred

The quickly arranged national covid updated seems to have been arranged with indecent haste after the revelations in the past 24 hours.
Its been reported that only 3 members of the Cabinet supported a move to that level only a couple of days ago.

The graphs shown at the briefing were flat on hospitalisations & deaths.The scare graph of course were the new O strain of Covid,which the two esteemed SAGE members both said they did not know if it was more deadly,just more transmissible.
No way would BJ have signed off on plan B before the recent embarrassments.
A handy distraction ?
A big call you’re making there.
I can’t see today’s announcements ever being made without the approval of Messrs Whitty and Vallance.

Oldsmobile-88

I can’t see today’s announcements ever being made without the approval of Messrs Whitty and Vallance.
Whitty & Vallance would have probably wanted play B a few weeks ago.Similar to what the devolved nations have done.

BJ has consistently mentioned getting the balance right between economics & health.
The figures were worse 6 weeks ago iirc,hence my cynicism.

DB9

Whilst the "Partygate" with Johnson and Co has left me fuming on Covid i think its just about right, We can't not do anything we have been able to do before, A small extention of mask wearing is fair enough, WFH a good idea in the main but only a small % of the workforce can do this and its a bit of a kick for those that rely on office people for their income, also it could mean all those arguments about WFH being made redundant because businesses can't work on the fact that every winter we'll be told to WFH, They'll think sod it might as well do it full time then if they can.

Full lockdown wont happen unless dire emergency because you can't tell people to stay at home and not make sure they can finacnially, We won't get another furlough scheme. As for Whitty and Valance, I think they'll be thinking for a change we're not waiting till the last minute again but i think in future SAGE needs to be trimmed down to a level where all are singing from the same sheet and not wanting 15 mins of fame by talking on GMB and the like.

Alistair20000

Whitty & Vallance would have probably wanted play B a few weeks ago.Similar to what the devolved nations have done.

BJ has consistently mentioned getting the balance right between economics & health.
The figures were worse 6 weeks ago iirc,hence my cynicism.
Nail on head

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

Whilst the "Partygate" with Johnson and Co has left me fuming on Covid i think its just about right, We can't not do anything we have been able to do before, A small extention of mask wearing is fair enough, WFH a good idea in the main but only a small % of the workforce can do this and its a bit of a kick for those that rely on office people for their income, also it could mean all those arguments about WFH being made redundant because businesses can't work on the fact that every winter we'll be told to WFH, They'll think sod it might as well do it full time then if they can.

Full lockdown wont happen unless dire emergency because you can't tell people to stay at home and not make sure they can finacnially, We won't get another furlough scheme. As for Whitty and Valance, I think they'll be thinking for a change we're not waiting till the last minute again but i think in future SAGE needs to be trimmed down to a level where all are singing from the same sheet and not wanting 15 mins of fame by talking on GMB and the like.
We are execting 1 million new omicron cases in this country by the end of 2021, so no these measures are not enough.

DB9

We are execting 1 million new omicron cases in this country by the end of 2021, so no these measures are not enough.
But at the moment and thankfully this variant seems (For now) mild compared to others, IF it stays like that and the syptoms are mild then infections can be as high as they like tbh. Honestly and a genuine question Suzie if you said to people there will be a stay at home policy but no furlough scheme, How would you sell that to the public?

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

But at the moment and thankfully this variant seems (For now) mild compared to others, IF it stays like that and the syptoms are mild then infections can be as high as they like tbh.
Viruses are very good at attacking the weak and most vulnerable in our communities. So that's the reason im favour of more effective restrictions.

I would seek reassurances from increasing knowledge of the new varient, through more data and analysis before putting more of the population at risk. Crazy, i know.