• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
because we're better for it
Are we (as English) really though?

The union benefits Scotland much more than it does England, and the powers that be up there are itching to leave.

Let them go if they wish.

DB9

The union benefits Scotland much more than it does England, and the powers that be up there are itching to leave.

Yes we are better for it, Its probably the only thing all 3 major parties agree on, The distribution of money needs to be looked at but in general we are better off as the UNITED Kingdom, A land border would be awful but it would have to be put in if Scotland left and managed to rejoin the EU. Just my opinion.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster

I don't think anyone outside of parliament is that bothered. Presumably Johnson feels it's a bad thing to be the PM who presided over the breakup of the union, for whatever reason.

tavyred

Circa 40%+ of the Scottish population are desperate for another referendum which is why the poor performance of their Government tends to get ignored at election time.
The current funding arrangements that sees the devolved governments get way more money than England is a disgrace, and for the life of me I cannot understand why the situation is allowed to prevail.

Oldsmobile-88

Rachel Reeves must have been reading exeweb a few weeks back,she mentioned my suggestion of abolishing the 5% VAT on home energy 😁😎

That will be awkward before COP26 of course where the paradox of high fuel cost will ultimately cut consumer use & carbon emissions in the UK..

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

Circa 40%+ of the Scottish population are desperate for another referendum which is why the poor performance of their Government tends to get ignored at election time.
The current funding arrangements that sees the devolved governments get way more money than England is a disgrace, and for the life of me I cannot understand why the situation is allowed to prevail.
Agreed and on the subject of Devolved nations getting English Tax-payers money , what about Northern Ireland & the DUP getting extra cash including £1 Billion pounds!!

tavyred

Agreed and on the subject of Devolved nations getting English Tax-payers money , what about Northern Ireland & the DUP getting extra cash including £1 Billion pounds!!

On the face of it, wholly unjustified.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
The government's preoccupation with online abuse in the wake of recent tragic events is very interesting, given that by all accounts online abuse had absolutely nothing to do with it. Also interesting the charge is being led by Nadine Dorries, who has a bit of form on social media, to put it mildly.

Add to that a couple of instances of Conservative MPs branding fairly innocuous social media comments as abuse, and a cynical person might suspect that they are attempting to use a tragedy to shut down legitimate questions. Luckily I am not so cynical.

Grecian2K

So 265 "loyal" Tories troop into the lobbies and vote to allow their fat-cat cronies in the privatised water monopolies to dump untreated human effluent into our rivers and seas.
Even the usually fawning Daily Heil is up in arms.
Fury as Tory MPs vote to allow water companies to dump raw sewage into Britain's rivers and seas | Daily Mail Online
Don't recall seeing THAT in their manifesto:
Vote Conservative - Get Sh!t
Still, when you next see all that brown froth washing past you it will, at least, give literal meaning to the phrase "Tory Scum"

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
So 265 "loyal" Tories troop into the lobbies and vote to allow their fat-cat cronies in the privatised water monopolies to dump untreated human effluent into our rivers and seas.
Even the usually fawning Daily Heil is up in arms.
Fury as Tory MPs vote to allow water companies to dump raw sewage into Britain's rivers and seas | Daily Mail Online
Don't recall seeing THAT in their manifesto:
Vote Conservative - Get Sh!t
Still, when you next see all that brown froth washing past you it will, at least, give literal meaning to the phrase "Tory Scum"
Twitter doing us proud by getting #TurdReich to trend in response.

Funnily enough some of the social media activity I mentioned above is in relation to this: