• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
I do wish the EU commission well in its dealings with Poland, they are spot on when they say the EU is nothing without its treaties.
Despite occasional talk of cake and eating it, the U.K. knew that ultimate truth and left the EU completely as a result.

DB9

Lord Fields, Former Labour MP Frank Fields was due to debate assisted dying laws in the HOL but revealed he is dying himself and too ill to attend after spending time in a Hospice, He was known to be one of best backbench MP's when he was in the HOC, Briefly serving in Government when Labour was in power and resigned the whip under Corbyn and is a cross party Lord, I wish him well during this difficult time.

tavyred

I like Frank Fields, he’s one of Labour’s big thinkers and wasn’t wedded to dogma like many in his party.
Thoughts are with him.

DB9

I like Frank Fields, he’s one of Labour’s big thinkers and wasn’t wedded to dogma like many in his party.
Thoughts are with him.
He was made a cross party Lord by the Tories, which to me says a lot if a party that he oppossed in the HOC thought enough of him to do that.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
As I'm sure our regular pollster won't be posting it, here's the latest YouGov

Grecian2K

As I'm sure our regular pollster won't be posting it, here's the latest YouGov

Obviously some "Fraudulent polling" going on.

angelic upstart

I find it most peculiar that the Greens are polling higher than the Lib Dems.

tonykellowfan

Personally I don't particularly have a problem with Scotland leaving the UK if that is what they want. Last time they voted 55-45 to stay, but that could easily change over time. Equally if NI eventually vote to create a united Ireland at some point in the future I have no problem with that. Wales seems very unlikely to vote for independence any time soon IMHO as it has a much larger English population and also is tied in much closer with England both geographically and economically than NI or Scotland. Country borders can change over time, I am sure we can all deal with it.

tavyred

Personally I don't particularly have a problem with Scotland leaving the UK if that is what they want. Last time they voted 55-45 to stay, but that could easily change over time. Equally if NI eventually vote to create a united Ireland at some point in the future I have no problem with that. Wales seems very unlikely to vote for independence any time soon IMHO as it has a much larger English population and also is tied in much closer with England both geographically and economically than NI or Scotland. Country borders can change over time, I am sure we can all deal with it.
I suspect outside of the England based political establishment, most people in England are reasonably relaxed about the continuation of the Union. If your English what real difference would living in a country of 60 million (England) be from living in a country of 68 million. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Seeing as all three devolved nations are economic basket cases, if England were to go it alone the economic boost would be quite marked IMO.

DB9

I suspect outside of the England based political establishment, most people in England are reasonably relaxed about the continuation of the Union. If your English what real difference would living in a country of 60 million (England) be from living in a country of 68 million. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Seeing as all three devolved nations are economic basket cases, if England were to go it alone the economic boost would be quite marked IMO.
You're probably right and the SNP really don't help themselves either, I personally want the union to stay because we're better for it, Each country should promote their own identities but as a union for 300? years, it does work well.

The SNP must be honest with the Scottish people and tell them the real cost of independence, It won't be one day they vote to leave, The next they rejoin the EU and have all this sudden investment, It will be a real struggle I think.

Look beyond the SNP independence policy and domestically things in Scotland aren't the best, like health, education and even crime. These are the things they should concentrate on.

Last edited: