• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
When Jo Cox was murdered plenty on the left blamed right wing politicians.
She was killed because of her political beliefs. I don't recall conservative politicians being blamed.

Show some respect to the dead politicians and quit the "they did that so it's okay" bs. It's childish, gets nobody anywhere and no one deserves to go to work in the morning and not go home again.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
When Jo Cox was murdered plenty on the left blamed right wing politicians.
And it was rightly called out as BS at the time.

jrg333

And it was rightly called out as BS at the time.
No it wasn't. All sorts of left-wing politicians leapt in to claim that the murder was inspired by Tory rhetoric on Brexit. Please don't try to rewrite history. Some of us actually pay attention to this stuff.

Jess Phillips, Anna Soubry, Paula Sheriff, Yvette Cooper. All of them; all of them claimed that Jo Cox's murder was inspired by Tory, or more specifically 'Brexiteer' rhetoric. The examples are abundant. The idea that their claims were 'called out as BS' is pure revisionism. I can only assume that you're either lying, too young to remember 2016, or you get your news from the most partisan sources possible. The idea that it's been 'called out as BS' to link Jo Cox's murder to the rhetoric of right-wing MPs, now that is some 'BS'...

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
No it wasn't. All sorts of left-wing politicians leapt in to claim that the murder was inspired by Tory rhetoric on Brexit. Please don't try to rewrite history. Some of us actually pay attention to this stuff.

Jess Phillips, Anna Soubry, Paula Sheriff, Yvette Cooper. All of them; all of them claimed that Jo Cox's murder was inspired by Tory, or more specifically 'Brexiteer' rhetoric. The examples are abundant. The idea that their claims were 'called out as BS' is pure revisionism. I can only assume that you're either lying, too young to remember 2016, or you get your news from the most partisan sources possible. The idea that it's been 'called out as BS' to link Jo Cox's murder to the rhetoric of right-wing MPs, now that is some BS...
(y)

angelic upstart

Jess Phillips, Anna Soubry, Paula Sheriff, Yvette Cooper. All of them; all of them claimed that Jo Cox's murder was inspired by Tory, or more specifically 'Brexiteer' rhetoric. The examples are abundant. The idea that their claims were 'called out as BS' is pure revisionism. I can only assume that you're either lying, too young to remember 2016, or you get your news from the most partisan sources possible. The idea that it's been 'called out as BS' to link Jo Cox's murder to the rhetoric of right-wing MPs, now that is some 'BS'...
You sure about that, fella? I recall they all received death threats and asked people/MP's to calm their language but don't recall them specifically blaming MP's for the murder. That said, much time has passed and I've little recollection. I remember the murderer was in the NF or suchlike but that's about it.

Mr Jinx

The arrested man is of Somalian heritage apparently.

tavyred

I'm no fan of Rayner or Labour as you know, but the link isn't even tenuous...it's ridiculous.
As you know public opinion is often driven by perception rather than accuracy or the truth, so it won’t surprise me if AR and Labour are made to pay a political price for her remarks.
One thing is certain she no doubt regrets it now and if she’d known (how could she) that this terrible murder was going to happen a fortnight later she wouldn’t have said it. Which is kind of a good litmus test as to whether she should’ve said it in the first place.

DB9

As of this moment the killing of Conservative MP Sir David Amess is being treated as a terrorist incident by police. This may change when more investigations are carried out. Was Sir David the MP re-elected in 1992 when Kinnock tried to become PM and all eyes were on Sir David's seat because the feeling was if "Essex man" wanted Labour back then Labour had to win that seat but didn't and Sir David said in his victory speech "Essex man rejected Labour" or words to that effect?

DB9

As you know public opinion is often driven by perception rather than accuracy or the truth, so it won’t surprise me if AR and Labour are made to pay a political price for her remarks.
One thing is certain she no doubt regrets it now and if she’d known (how could she) that this terrible murder was going to happen a fortnight later she wouldn’t have said it. Which is kind of a good litmus test as to whether she should’ve said it in the first place.
If the murder is confirmed as Terror related then AR remarks do not come into it, Like someone else said, Tories were happy to dislpay a badge "Tory Scum" as a "Laugh" at their Conference. SM trying to link this with AR is why SM is the bad, dark place it is.

tavyred

If the murder is confirmed as Terror related then AR remarks do not come into it, Like someone else said, Tories were happy to dislpay a badge "Tory Scum" as a "Laugh" at their Conference. SM trying to link this with AR is why SM is the bad, dark place it is.
The connection may only being made in the lunatic fringes of SM, in which case you may be right. My point is that by saying such crass and dehumanising remarks about her political opponents she runs the risk, in the light of yesterday’s events of a bit that sh*t sticking with the wider public as well, it may be unjustified but it highlights that the importance of top level politicians conducting themselves in a decent and proper manner.