• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not those that "Erred on the side of caution" then?
I wouldn't have erred on the side of caution had I not read the MSM yesterday.

You are part of the problem, you’re not allowed to be frustrated.

I'm not frustrated. I shouldn't have to fill up again for at least a couple of weeks. Merely observations, old boy.

Last edited:

Mr Jinx

Worry not, temporary visas are the answer apparently. We're going to ask a load of Europeans to come help out a country where half the population doesn't want them, until such a time as we don't need them anymore, then they can bugger off again.

Again, another confused take on things. Lots of Leavers acknowledge that immigration is essential (myself included). What we don't need is unchecked and uncontrolled immigration.

Canada & Australia did and continue to do it right. And we will be joining them.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Again, another confused take on things. Lots of Leavers acknowledge that immigration is essential (myself included). What we don't need is unchecked and uncontrolled immigration.

Canada & Australia did and continue to do it right. And we will be joining them.
No confusion here. We're all well aware of the leaver's pick and choose when convenient approach to immigration. I'm just suggesting that our HGV driving European friends might not be queuing up to come back here, when there are plenty of EU countries looking for drivers that won't kick them out once they've outlived their usefulness.

angelic upstart

I see the govt are carving up GDPR and ensuring that reversing HGVs isn't needed on the test so they can get more people to pass.
Following on from this, does this mean that with a lessened test the newly qualified drivers won't be able to drive in the EU?

angelic upstart

Worth noting that both Canada and Australia have larger percentages of foreign born people than the UK.

fred binneys head

our HGV driving European friends might not be queuing up to come back here
If they did, Farage would be asking them to say “cheese”.

manc grecian

5000 temporary visas to be issued. Brexit means brexit

fred binneys head

Get temporary visas done

tavyred

5000 temporary visas to be issued. Brexit means brexit
You must be one of those Brexit purists who thought our leaving meant zero immigration from the EU.

DB9

You must be one of those Brexit purists who thought our leaving meant zero immigration from the EU.
I'd imagine those in the Tory party and others are really "Wincing" at this but TBH for a short term solution there is no other answer, We can't magic HGV drivers out of thin air, Training takes time and is expensive, Carrying fuel and other hazardous materials takes longer, The real problem comes when other sectors like carers, hospitallity etc come along and say they want the same treatment because of their staffing issues.

The rules we've put in about EU immigration along with other countries make it difficult, I think they need to earn at least £36k pa and other critiea before being accepted, HGV drivers will probably fit that but carers, waiting staff etc will struggle to.

The Government and the Companies affected should have seen this coming, The Covid thing meant a lot went home and haven't returned, The av age of a driver is 55, The Companies should be asking themselves why younger people weren't coming into this and the older drivers would have had enough of driving and got out, Obvious pay was not as good and conditions like loos, decent parking and resting areas have disappeared, Not much fun if you're spending up to 5 nights out.

Last edited: