• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
I've just switched from one of the big 6 for the first time in my life, might have been a mistake.
Not really. If the new one goes bust, you'll just have to be moved back to one of the big 6. You won't lose or gain anything as far as I understand it.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
We're still in the autumn of vain hopefulness.
As we used to express it in the old days, "Season of mists and Kellow fruitfulness".

elginCity

How are they going to cope in Europe with the paucity of HGV drivers, all of whom are covid self isolating, the empty supermarket shelves and no forecourt fuel. No EU army to mobilise either, thank the lord we got out in time. The suffering this winter will make the siege of Leningrad look like a picnic in sunlit uplands. Awaiting the glee plastered all over the red rag front pages.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

How are they going to cope in Europe with the paucity of HGV drivers, all of whom are covid self isolating, the empty supermarket shelves and no forecourt fuel. No EU army to mobilise either, thank the lord we got out in time. The suffering this winter will make the siege of Leningrad look like a picnic in sunlit uplands. Awaiting the glee plastered all over the red rag front pages.
Twenty reasons why there is an HGV driver shortage - part one: 1-10 - West Country Bylines

According to this article it's not all Brexit , but Brexit is a significant factor in our current predicament.

Alistair20000

It's funny how people are comparing this to the 1970s and the winter of discontent, as someone who was there at the time, there is no comparison.
Agreed. Too many drama queens and the 24 hour media these days.

I remember queuing up for petrol rationing vouchers in late 1973. In the end we did not use them. Plus the three day week and a daft minister telling us to brush our teeth in the dark.

elginCity

Twenty reasons why there is an HGV driver shortage - part one: 1-10 - West Country Bylines

According to this article it's not all Brexit , but Brexit is a significant factor in our current predicament.
Fair comment, Suzi Woozie, Mr Covid also has a lot to answer for. That list though, reason no 1, with cabotage rules alone no longer applying must have been a massive red flag to many in the industry. As with so many other things, like the NI protocol, 'Getting It Done' was far more important than any kind of due diligence or forward Brexit planning by the Vote Leave/ERG cabal.

Alistair20000

As we used to express it in the old days, "Season of mists and Kellow fruitfulness".
Love a bit of Keats me.(y)

It is a shame that the poetry thread I started on here was as popular as a fart in an elevator :cry:

Grecian2K

I remember queuing up for petrol rationing vouchers in late 1973.
And 2000 (when the grumpy farmers were stirred up, having received the "official" backing of the Tory opposition of the time).
And 2005 & 2007 when the Road Haulage Association tried to hold the country to ransom.
In all these cases what should have been a relatively minor inconvenience for most was gleefully whipped into a national panic by the ever-patriotic red-top media.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

The way that things are going in politics and the media I wouldn't rule out some quarters pushing for another EU Referendum in the next 5 to 10 years!!!!

fred binneys head

Love a bit of Keats me.(y)

It is a shame that the poetry thread I started on here was as popular as a fart in an elevator :cry:
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Poetry stinks
And so do you