• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
You’re right to flag up that a trade deal needs the two sides to want one and just to repeat my earlier that point BJ will get deserved opprobrium for not getting what he promised, not least from bitter remoaners who will seize on it with gusto.
In the big scheme of though, it ain’t no biggie. 🤷‍♂️
He's getting very good at not delivering on his promises. You might say it's "No Biggie" but if he was there signing a deal you'd been shouting from the rafters.

tavyred

He's getting very good at not delivering on his promises. You might say it's "No Biggie" but if he was there signing a deal you'd been shouting from the rafters.
........and you, if you mentioned it all would be downplaying it’s significance or perhaps criticising it for being skewed too much to suit the US.
We’re all slaves to our own personal bias DB, including you. 🙄

DB9

........and you, if you mentioned it all would be downplaying it’s significance or perhaps criticising it for being skewed too much to suit the US.
We’re all slaves to our own personal bias DB, including you. 🙄
No, This deal unlike some others that have been agreed would be a "Biggie" imho and still will be if Biden is kicked out in 2024 and a Republican got in and agreed one. My own personal bias is that Johnson claims to be a "Man of the people" and in truth he wouldn't p**s on you if you were on fire unless there is something in it for him.

tavyred

No, This deal unlike some others that have been agreed would be a "Biggie" imho and still will be if Biden is kicked out in 2024 and a Republican got in and agreed one. My own personal bias is that Johnson claims to be a "Man of the people" and in truth he wouldn't p**s on you if you were on fire unless there is something in it for him.
Your opinion on BJ’s character is not an original one and some would say a hackneyed and lazy one, the fact is he remains the most successful politician of his generation and I can’t see anyone laying a hand on him electorally anytime soon such is his popularity and the lack of an alternative.
A FTA with the US should it ever come might be a ‘biggie’ but no one can force a country in the midst of one it’s “America first” periods to grant one. It is interesting to see those who were one criticising the thought of Trump brokered deal and the ramifications for the NHS now bemoaning the lack of one with Biden, who would’ve also wanted an ‘in’ for the US healthcare sector as well. 🤷‍♂️

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
The devil is in the detail with trade deals.

That's what concerns me most about the current government and trade.

DB9

Your opinion on BJ’s character is not an original one and some would say a hackneyed and lazy one, the fact is he remains the most successful politician of his generation and I can’t see anyone laying a hand on him electorally anytime soon such is his popularity and the lack of an alternative.
A FTA with the US should it ever come might be a ‘biggie’ but no one can force a country in the midst of one it’s “America first” periods to grant one. It is interesting to see those who were one criticising the thought of Trump brokered deal and the ramifications for the NHS now bemoaning the lack of one with Biden, who would’ve also wanted an ‘in’ for the US healthcare sector as well. 🤷‍♂️
No, You would say my opinion is that, He was successful because of what happened in 2016-19 and saw the result needed to be respected, A FTA needs two sides to agree like you say but our negotiators would have said (I hope) the NHS was off limits No matter who's in the WH. I'm not going to put him on the pedestal that you have eyed up for him just yet thanks.

tavyred

No, You would say my opinion is that, He was successful because of what happened in 2016-19 and saw the result needed to be respected, A FTA needs two sides to agree like you say but our negotiators would have said (I hope) the NHS was off limits No matter who's in the WH. I'm not going to put him on the pedestal that you have eyed up for him just yet thanks.
There were plenty saying that the post referendum Tory Governments would’ve sacrificed the NHS such was/is their desperation for a FTA with the US, despite assurances otherwise. Should a FTA become imminent, expect the narrative to revert back from BJ’s failure to get one, to OMG he’s going to sell the NHS to the Yanks again. 🙄
BJ’s electoral success pre dates 2016 I’m afraid, he was voted in as London mayor not once but twice.
He’s an electoral phenomenon and doesn’t need my perceived adoration or indeed your oft used critiques of his character.

Oldsmobile-88

Avro Energy one of the bigger small fry energy suppliers(590,000 consumers) has gone tits up.
One things for sure,we will all be paying a lot more once this cull is over.

DB9

Avro Energy one of the bigger small fry energy suppliers(590,000 consumers) has gone tits up.
One things for sure,we will all be paying a lot more once this cull is over.
....... And a company called Green has also bitten the dust.

Oldsmobile-88

....... And a company called Green has also bitten the dust.
Yep..They had around 300,000 consumers.
Expect more to follow.

I tied my deal in with Shell Energy for 18months about a year ago,I would imagine/hope they have enough collateral to see this through.

It’s a very fragmented UK Energy market that is probably not fit for purpose going forward.
The free market for domestic consumers stated in 1996,that model has only been tweaked & is not up to the challenges ahead.
The UK was self sufficient for gas & electricity generation back then.I would imagine half of our energy requirements are imported now.

Reactions: DB9