• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Who remembers...A pint of water weighs a pound &
a quarter ?

I remember doing Heating Calculations in both Imperial & Metric at college....BTUs & KW.Both had to be shown...

angelic upstart

What I don't understand is why we have to have some weird hybrid system of imperial and metric. Choose one and be done with it. I just want us to do something normal for once.

Spoonz Red E

Who remembers...A pint of water weighs a pound &
a quarter ?

I remember doing Heating Calculations in both Imperial & Metric at college....BTUs & KW.Both had to be shown...
Sometimes followed by
' and a ten pound note is a gallon wrote'.

tavyred

The second link states "Brixham’s fish market is currently enjoying a boom in business, with fish landed in ports hundreds of miles away being brought by road to be sold at the online auctions on the quayside.

But, said Mr Spreckley: “Environmentally the fish quay proposal is ridiculous. This will just lead to more fish being trucked in from all over the country to be sold on the market at Brixham, because Brixham fish has a premium value"

I think it just means people are bringing fish from the EU into Britain to sell more expensively.
Brexit was supposed to lay waste to the U.K. fishing industry AU.
Yet within months of us leaving Brixham is experiencing a boom and planning an expansion which could involve 150 more jobs. 🤷‍♂️

geoffwp

Brexit was supposed to lay waste to the U.K. fishing industry AU.
Yet within months of us leaving Brixham is experiencing a boom and planning an expansion which could involve 150 more jobs. 🤷‍♂️
I thought Brexit was supposed to do the opposite and the problem was french, spanish, and the rest trawlers on 'our' fishing grounds? Or is it because they can now forget sensible quotas and scrape the lot out. Dunno, takes me all day to get a few bream!!!

DB9

Please don't tell today's Daily Express but it looks like this great UK-US trade deal won't be happening anytime soon or ever.

tavyred

Please don't tell today's Daily Express but it looks like this great UK-US trade deal won't be happening anytime soon or ever.
BJ deserves to be confronted with the lack of a FTA with the US, but let’s not overstate it’s importance. Trade between the two is still massive. 🤷‍♂️

DB9

BJ deserves to be confronted with the lack of a FTA with the US, but let’s not overstate it’s importance. Trade between the two is still massive. 🤷‍♂️
You say that but we were told this new deal was heralded as THE deal, It was suppose to be part of "Global Britain" The truth is as soon as Biden got in any trade deal was very unlikely, Remember when asked about the UK Biden's answer was "I'm Irish"

tavyred

You say that but we were told this new deal was heralded as THE deal, It was suppose to be part of "Global Britain" The truth is as soon as Biden got in any trade deal was very unlikely, Remember when asked about the UK Biden's answer was "I'm Irish"
You’re right to flag up that a trade deal needs the two sides to want one and just to repeat my earlier that point BJ will get deserved opprobrium for not getting what he promised, not least from bitter remoaners who will seize on it with gusto.
In the big scheme of though, it ain’t no biggie. 🤷‍♂️

tavyred

Interesting article on the geopolitics surrounding France/EU and the AUKUS security pact.