• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nah, the European Army when their application to join the EU is waved through and thereby losing their independence.
Yep.
Outside of any hastily hobbled together rapid response force, I can’t an EU army ever happening.
I see ‘Le hissy fit’ is still continuing with gusto. I do like the story that while Macron was posing with his EU buddies at the ‘naughty boy’ table at the G7, AUKUS was being planned and a rather lucrative defence contract was being scrapped. 😄

Mr Jinx

I see ‘Le hissy fit’ is still continuing with gusto. I do like the story that while Macron was posing with his EU buddies at the ‘naughty boy’ table at the G7, AUKUS was being planned and a rather lucrative defence contract was being scrapped. 😄
Indeed. It's very puzzling.

Why Irish rooted Biden, a self confessed EU admirer who has a slight disdain of the UK, would then go and do something that probably Trump wouldn't even consider...it just doesn't add up. That is, unless, like I said, he now doesn't really know what is going on.

I suppose all eyes are now on Sleepy and Macron as they try and patch things up. If that's even possible now. I expect them to now be sending even more dinghies over.

Alistair20000

Why Irish rooted Biden, a self confessed EU admirer who has a slight disdain of the UK, would then go and do something that probably Trump wouldn't even consider...it just doesn't add up. That is, unless, like I said, he now doesn't really know what is going on.

I suppose all eyes are now on Sleepy and Macron as they try and patch things up. If that's even possible now. I expect them to now be sending even more dinghies over.
We are still paying the French £58 million p.a. to stop the boats. :mad:

Alistair20000

The Torygraph headline this morning tell us that Bunter is trying to persuade Old Sleepy to open up Uncle Sam to visitors from the U.K.

This takes the biscuit given the difficulties the U.K. government has put in the way of foreign travel and in particular ridiculous testing for vaccinated travellers returning to the U.K.

tavyred

I think Biden has put it on France and by extension the EU for good reasons.
The US isn’t going to continue to bankroll European defence and simply watch them sign trade agreements with China and generally have a borderline ‘hands off’ attitude to the CCP and its excesses.
The EU needs to either pay for its own defence (no chance of that) or it needs to do what the U.K. is doing and get with the program as dictated by US foreign policy.
Macron’s reaction is in part for domestic consumption of course, the election is 7 months away and Le Pen is improving in the polls apparently.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
The US isn’t going to continue to bankroll European defence and simply watch them sign trade agreements with China and generally have a borderline ‘hands off’ attitude to the CCP and its excesses.
The EU needs to either pay for its own defence (no chance of that) or it needs to do what the U.K. is doing and get with the program as dictated by US foreign policy.
Macron’s reaction is in part for domestic consumption of course, the election is 7 months away and Le Pen is improving in the polls apparently.
So glad we took back control so we could hand control of our foreign policy over the Americans.

tavyred

So glad we took back control so we could hand control of our foreign policy over the Americans.
The U.K. would argue that our strategic national interest is at this point best served by hanging onto the US’s shirt tails in that area of the world. Let’s face it, its not the first time.
It does at least tie in with our post EU ‘global Britain’ policy. The U.K. is putting itself out there in the Indo- pacific as regards its trade policy and its military and seeking to gain advantage as a result. We seemed to have proffed already with AUKUS pact.
We could of course still be in the economically moribund EU and encumbered by the wants and needs of 27 other European nations for our trade deals. On that subject, such is Macrons annoyance with Australia, he’s threatening to end the EU/AUS trade negotiations that are currently going on. I remember the days when the foibles of the perennially offended French effected U.K. trade policy. 😉

Alistair20000

Trump of course rightly banged on about European partners not paying a fair share of NATO costs and it seems Sleepy is of the same mind. Macron, Merkel and others probably thought he was a soft touch.

Oldsmobile-88

Taxpayers money will not be used to prop up energy companies the Business Secretary has announced.
Good call,it would have been mad to prop up energy companies with a bad business model.
Ofgem need to have a good look at themselves for allowing some of the failed/ in imminent danger of collapse energy companies to set up & operate in the first place.

tavyred

Interesting story re. Brixham on spotlight just now. Apparently Brixham is booming and has applied for government funding to make the ‘fish quay’ bigger as the current arrangement is too small to handle the amount of fish being landed there.
Brexit eh? 🤷‍♂️