• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
To be fair to the fat buffoon, he did promise there would be no customs checks in the Irish Sea or at either border, he didn't rule out checks under the sea. Shame his ingenious scheme hasn't worked out for him.
It's poor old Jo-jo Lumley I feel sorry for.
As if the "garden bridge" debacle wasn't bad enough she's now stuck with a garage full of shamrocks as well.
#gardentunnelRIP

DB9

Inflation up to 3.2% Apparently highest since records began in 1997???? I'm sure they were higher in the 70's/80's?

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Inflation up to 3.2% Apparently highest since records began in 1997???? I'm sure they were higher in the 70's/80's?
Maybe, but apparently they didn't bother writing it down before 1997.

Alistair20000

I think the statistic breaking the record may be the increase in a single month as opposed to the overall inflation rate. It might even be the % increase from one month to the next so that 2% to 3.2 % is a 60% increase.

DB9

I think the statistic breaking the record may be the increase in a single month as opposed to the overall inflation rate. It might even be the % increase from one month to the next so that 2% to 3.2 % is a 60% increase.
Thanks Al, Still sure back in those dark days of the 70's/80's it went higher in a month % wise.

Alistair20000

Thanks Al, Still sure back in those dark days of the 70's/80's it went higher in a month % wise.
As the rate was higher back in the 1970's the monthly % increases tend to be smaller. For example, 10% to 15% would be a 50% increase compared with the recent 60% rise from 2% to 3.2% but the 5% increase in the first example would be more scary despite "sounding" lower.

I remember inflation being over 20% per annum at one point after the 1973 oil crisis

Mr Jinx

Yes, you'd think the BOE might increase Interest Rates...

...hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Mr Jinx

I see Shamima Begum on the UK airwaves this morning again begging that she be allowed back to Blighty with open arms.

Has no-one told her that all she needs to do is make her way to Northern France where she'll be ushered onto a dinghy?

Oldsmobile-88

I see Shamima Begum on the UK airwaves this morning again begging that she be allowed back to Blighty with open arms.

Has no-one told her that all she needs to do is make her way to Northern France where she'll be ushered onto a dinghy?
Then she will no doubt end up in the Big Brother House in the future 😎

tavyred

You’ve got to admire old Shamina’s efforts in westernising her appearance. A bit of lippy and a baseball hat and the hasty abandonment of the hijab etc.
A less generous person would accuse her of cultural misappropriation. 😉