• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
.....or alternatively a helpful although for some an inconvenient suggestion as to how to alleviate the upcoming loss of the temporary £20pw uplift in UC.
You pays yer money etc.
Sorry I'll agree to disagree, I'm leaving it at that, The evidence either way will come in the passage of time.

Rosencrantz

Maybe so but my point still stands, Her comments were crass and showed a touch of "Not knowing life in the real world" and her saying its easy as that.
She knows what she is saying, deliberately misrepresenting how UC works with tapering, it is more than just a case of two hours more work, and she knows exactly who she is speaking to. It plays into the benefits slacker trope. Of course there are those that play the system, but by far the majority don't and rely on it. They are a long way from the Life of Riley on UC and for any shock story in the Mail or similar, there are thousands upon thousands just about keeping their heads above water.

angelic upstart

I find it far more worrying that people can work full time and not earn enough money that the government see the need to provide them extra money.

Fair days work for a fair days pay etc.

Last edited:

tavyred

Maybe so but my point still stands, Her comments were crass and showed a touch of "Not knowing life in the real world" and her saying its easy as that.
I agree with Rosey in that she knew exactly what she was saying and no doubt in full knowledge of the employment stats that have just been announced. Employers who in the past were quite content to tailor their attendance patterns to part time workers safe in the knowledge that there were plenty of workers to get the job done, now have a quandary in that there is now a shortage of Labour and the pressure is on them to extract more hours from people content to stay on reduced hours lest they lose their in work benefits.
Interesting to hear also that the freezing (till 2026) of the lower tax rate threshold combined with the healthy uplift in wages will see a million or so more workers paying income tax for the first time.
The world of work is changing and not before time, as AU says working full time needs to pay.

Last edited:

DB9

I agree with Rosey in that she knew exactly what she was saying and no doubt in full knowledge of the employment stats that have just been announced. Employers who in the past were quite content to tailor their attendance patterns to part time workers safe in the knowledge that there were plenty of workers to get the job done, now have a quandary in that there is now a shortage of Labour and the pressure is on them to extract more hours from people content to stay on reduced hours lest they lose their in work benefits.
Interesting to hear also that the freezing (till 2026) of the lower tax rate threshold combined with the healthy uplift in wages will see a million or so more workers paying income tax for the first time.
The world of work is changing and not before time, as AU says working full time needs to pay.
Until employers pay a decent enough wage so having to top up with UC becomes irrelevant won't change. To my mind a wage should be enough to live on.

tavyred

Until employers pay a decent enough wage so having to top up with UC becomes irrelevant won't change. To my mind a wage should be enough to live on.
Employers is some cases don’t need to pay a decent wage DB, the state is stepping in and subsidising that employee for them with in work benefits. It’s a jolly wheeze when there’s loads of cheap Labour available, not so much when there’s a Labour shortage.

DB9

Employers is some cases don’t need to pay a decent wage DB, the state is stepping in and subsidising that employee for them with in work benefits. It’s a jolly wheeze when there’s loads of cheap Labour available, not so much when there’s a Labour shortage.
That is what needs to change, Instead of a flippant remark that she said, She should be encouraging employers to pay a decent wage that would make in work benefits a thing of the past.

tavyred

That is what needs to change, Instead of a flippant remark that she said, She should be encouraging employers to pay a decent wage that would make in work benefits a thing of the past.
Like I said previously, firms are now operating in an environment where labour is short, perhaps the era of employing loads of part time workers is over and instead they do have to pay a decent wage to get people willing to work full time. Instead of yearning for the times when a firm could crack open a fresh box of cheap foreign workers, they need to stop bleating to Government and invest in their workforce specifically and their own productivity generally.
The subtle switching of power from the employer to employee was one of the reasons I voted Brexit BTW.

Grecian2K

Yet another of Johnson's wet dreams evaporated in the cold light of day
Boris Johnson’s tunnel to Ireland ‘ditched on cost grounds’ (msn.com)
Apparently the cost of the huge customs post half way through proved prohibitive. :ROFLMAO:

fred binneys head

Yet another of Johnson's wet dreams evaporated in the cold light of day
Boris Johnson’s tunnel to Ireland ‘ditched on cost grounds’ (msn.com)
Apparently the cost of the huge customs post half way through proved prohibitive. :ROFLMAO:
To be fair to the fat buffoon, he did promise there would be no customs checks in the Irish Sea or at either border, he didn't rule out checks under the sea. Shame his ingenious scheme hasn't worked out for him.