• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Anyone been to The Great Wall,is there a fee for that ?
Genuine question.
It’s £1 a brick.

DB9

That Therese Coffey's a right piece of work.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I find the view from the A303 as I’m driving by,quite satisfactory 😎
The traffic is usually stationary when I'm in that area!

tavyred

That Therese Coffey's a right piece of work.
Her UC remark?
She’s not wrong though, there are too many part time working UC claimants happy to bleat about the temporary uplift ending, work less than a handful of more hours and you’ve got that £20 per week covered. 🤷‍♂️

DB9

Her UC remark?
She’s not wrong though, there are too many part time working UC claimants happy to bleat about the temporary uplift ending, work less than a handful of more hours and you’ve got that £20 per week covered. 🤷‍♂️
My Opinion but i think combine this with the rise in NI, Which has been confirmed that those on the lowest wage will have to burden it more than others her comment was disrespectful of those that have to claim UC, It is not B/W as she makes it, Perhaps these people have kids to look after, Other people to care for and can't do extra hours, Perhaps extra hours aren't available? 40% of UC claiments are working people.

tavyred

I think it a reasonable proposition to make when there’s a labour shortage and 1.66m job vacancies in the U.K. DB.
I do think for every worker who needs supporting with UC and there’s legitimate reasons they can’t work full time, there’s probably two where working part time is a lifestyle choice and only made viable by being in receipt of in work benefits. I know a couple of these characters myself.

DB9

I think it a reasonable proposition to make when there’s a labour shortage and 1.66m job vacancies in the U.K. DB.
I do think for every worker who needs supporting with UC and there’s legitimate reasons they can’t work full time, there’s probably two where working part time is a lifestyle choice and only made viable by being in receipt of in work benefits. I know a couple of these characters myself.
I can't generalise like that Tavy, Whilst the vacancies is good news and probably some can step up and fill those, A lot of jobs you need certain skills, be able to work long hours etc , I just think her comments were crass at the very least.

tavyred

I think we’re both guilty of generalising DB.

DB9

I think we’re both guilty of generalising DB.
Maybe so but my point still stands, Her comments were crass and showed a touch of "Not knowing life in the real world" and her saying its easy as that.

tavyred

Maybe so but my point still stands, Her comments were crass and showed a touch of "Not knowing life in the real world" and her saying its easy as that.
.....or alternatively a helpful although for some an inconvenient suggestion as to how to alleviate the upcoming loss of the temporary £20pw uplift in UC.
You pays yer money etc.