• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Pray tell me when I've ever expressed "frustration" about the withdrawal of the TLock?
As I have clearly opined I've always bee agin it on principle...even though I could be a potential beneficiary.
Why so unpleasant?
OK, I must have misremembered or misjudged your feelings about the issue. Apologies.
I’m only minded to be unpleasant when riled G2K. Think about how you come across sometimes, there’s a good pensioner! 😉

tavyred

I meant there's loads of jobs knocking about at the minute.
.......maybe because 9 million jobs at the peak of furlough were kept financially viable by the Government, or taxpayers really as governments don’t have money of their own.
Good job all those youngsters on furlough could rely those on older income tax payers to help them through the crisis. 😉

Grecian2K

OK, I must have misremembered or misjudged your feelings about the issue. Apologies.
I’m only minded to be unpleasant when riled G2K. Think about how you come across sometimes, there’s a good pensioner! 😉
"Apology" accepted! 😝

Anyhow must be off to the bookies now to "invest" all these unearned pension riches on who will capitulate first...England or Somerset!
(There are at least some things more important (and riling) than politics you know)

tonykellowfan

The elephant in the room is the changing demographic and so any plan for care in old age has to factor in the ratio of older to younger people (which is only going the wrong way). The NI system is in a mess and has been for decades for the simple reason that when the system was first designed no one foresaw the massive increase in life expectancy that would happen in the late 20th century.

Alistair20000

The elephant in the room is the changing demographic and so any plan for care in old age has to factor in the ratio of older to younger people (which is only going the wrong way). The NI system is in a mess and has been for decades for the simple reason that when the system was first designed no one foresaw the massive increase in life expectancy that would happen in the late 20th century.
And of course the idea of NI being ring fenced to pay for the benefits "purchased" has long been lost sight of as it has become a thinly disguised giant Ponzi scheme.

tavyred

Yep.
All those people who used die of cancers and heart disease etc in their seventies are now surviving into their eighties, which is unfortunately dementia territory.
This isn’t about old folks not being able to cope at home and their relatives sticking them in a home to avoid the hassle of looking after them.
These are serious medical conditions being suffered by older people that deserve just as much state help as a teenage cancer sufferer gets.

Avening Posse

I'd glad social care is grabbing the headlines and not before time. How it's paid for may be sensitive, but finally attempting to do something about it is great, and I reckon Boris will come out with a lot of credit for this down the line if he delivers. If we want the so called social contract to continue where you pay when you work on the premise you don"t when stop working then NI is probably the way to go. Not sure I believe the social contract is real these days, and plenty have to pay when retired, so i can also see the arguments for income tax. What I like about NI is it doesn't erode prosperity of pensioners, and that should benefit future generations who inherit (those pesky young who I keep being told have got it hard !!). Looking forward to seeing how this one pans out. Much more important than foreign wars to me this one

tonykellowfan

The problem is that as a society we can only take out what we pay in. My father for example (who is fit as a fiddle at 77) went to university until he was 23 and then did research in the US until he was 27. He then came back to the UK and eventually ended up teaching in a university and then retired at 53! He effectively paid in for 26 years. I am 49 and I have already worked continuously for 28 years and have no hope of retiring before 60.

tavyred

The irony of Labour giving the Tories pelters for raising taxes to help fund the NHS and social care is not lost in this part of West Devon I have to say.
I do accept the argument is more nuanced than that obviously.
Politically telling all the same.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

The main 2 parties often borrow from each other, now its the high spending, high taxing Tories!!!