• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
No doubt leaked to test the reaction.
Another example of "government by leakage". I expect the craven Cons will be taking due note if the Dailies Heil & Torygraph start throwing their dollies out. Mind you, since the measures affect most adversely the lower-and-middling-paid working folk rather than the rich retirees (who are, after all, still their core support - and readership) I suspect their sycophantic MSM cronies will probably be somewhat muted. The main gripe will almost certainly be that the proposed care-cost ceiling is too high.

At least St Teaser did, once try to address this can of works in he manifesto. That went well didn't it. Hence the lies spread in Johnson's 2019 version.

tavyred

Just out of interest why should the children and young people of today pay for their wealthy, elderly counterparts?
Who do think pays for their state pensions?

angelic upstart

Additionally, worth noting that the younger people of today pay 4% more in NI (and employers pay 3% more) they pay historically high VAT rates, council tax bills far higher than domestic rates bills. There's no point in saving as there's no interest rates. The introduction of tiered stamp d

Corporation tax has fell since 1988 by 7% so they'll be very happy with that.

angelic upstart

Who do think pays for their state pensions?
Exactly. So asking them to pay more, yet again when they already are shafted and have little opportunity of a "job for life" and it's particularly unfair on them.

tavyred

Exactly. So asking them to pay more, yet again when they already are shafted and have little opportunity of a "job for life" and it's particularly unfair on them.
Shafted?
You don’t believe in the welfare state then?
What would prefer some sort of insurance based system?

angelic upstart

Shafted?
You don’t believe in the welfare state then?
What would prefer some sort of insurance based system?
The ordinary people of today pay more tax than their predecessors. I'm saying, that it isn't fair to charge them more to pay for older people.

I believe in one tax rate for all,no personal allowances and no in work benefits. As a pay off you lose vat, council tax and most other taxes.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
We all know the young are already paying for the older generation. In return they'll work until they're older, get a worse pension, and may not ever be able to own a home. Now they can pay even more. Of course the young don't vote Conservative, so no surprises here.

tavyred

The ordinary people of today pay more tax than their predecessors. I'm saying, that it isn't fair to charge them more to pay for older people.

I believe in one tax rate for all,no personal allowances and no in work benefits. As a pay off you lose vat, council tax and most other taxes.
I believe the tax burden should mirror what a so called civilised country like ours wants to provide for its people.
Part of the social care scandal is that for some reason we are prepared to help without thinking teenage cancer sufferers yet when older people (in increasing numbers) develop conditions like dementia and Alzheimer’s, all of a sudden we start asking for their cash to pay for it. It wasn’t an issue 30 years ago as most folks snuffed it of other conditions before they developed dementia, it’s a big issue now and needs sorting.
We either live up to the ‘cradle to grave’ commitment or we don’t.

angelic upstart

I believe the tax burden should mirror what a so called civilised country like ours wants to provide for its people.
Part of the social care scandal is that for some reason we are prepared to help without thinking teenage cancer sufferers yet when older people (in increasing numbers) develop conditions like dementia and Alzheimer’s, all of a sudden we start asking for their cash to pay for it. It wasn’t an issue 30 years ago as most folks snuffed it of other conditions before they developed dementia, it’s a big issue now and needs sorting.
We either live up to the ‘cradle to grave’ commitment or we don’t.
Nobody as far as I've read is saying young people shouldn't pay, but increasing NI is costing the young more. There are fairer alternatives to do this.

tavyred

Nobody as far as I've read is saying young people shouldn't pay, but increasing NI is costing the young more. There are fairer alternatives to do this.

By young are you meaning anyone of working age? 🤷‍♂️