• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Have you happened to watch tonight's BBC4 re-run of Yes Minister - The Moral Dimension? Even The Guardian was invoked.
So I wouldn't be so sure. Not much has changed with "Tory Sleaze" over the last few decades.
I have no doubt that all the cronyism etc. will make no waves whatsoever in itself. But if it can be shown that government ineptitude, ambivalence or otherwise has caused deaths, then that's another matter.

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
As a self declared admirer of Cummings I sense a highly embarrassing mea culpa coming on.
Jeez, the fella is a nutter, I’ve just listened to him actually say that a few short days of getting BJ elected he was plotting to get him removed.
I know, he is now just coming across as ridiculous. He was so up in arms 2 weeks in, he managed to stick around for a further ten months. It's just cobblers and sour grapes.

Alistair20000

I know, he is now just coming across as ridiculous. He was so up in arms 2 weeks in, he managed to stick around for a further ten months. It's just cobblers and sour grapes.
Yep. Something very wrong about him. Definitely not right.

tonykellowfan

In relation to Labour and Starmer I am quite surprised that they haven't learnt the basic lesson of Blair which is that you need to be positive. Blair's election tune was "things can only get better" ffs.

Part of the attraction of Boris is that he is seen as up beat and positive.

Pollers know for a fact that this works with voters. What so many wonks/journalists/political obsessives don't seem to realise is that most voters aren't much interested in politics.

DB9

In relation to Labour and Starmer I am quite surprised that they haven't learnt the basic lesson of Blair which is that you need to be positive. Blair's election tune was "things can only get better" ffs.

Part of the attraction of Boris is that he is seen as up beat and positive.

Pollers know for a fact that this works with voters. What so many wonks/journalists/political obsessives don't seem to realise is that most voters aren't much interested in politics.
Agree, All Corbyn did is his reign as leader and Milliband before him was blame the rich for all peoples ills, Tell everyone they're "Victims" and just in general be downbeat about everything, The Tories totally pounced on this and whether you agree or not gave a more positive outlook and people liked that. Blair won 3 elections, All with huge majorities, He saw that you had to engage all people, Rich or poor and they went along with it. Starmer needs some of this, Call out the Government when they've screwed up but believe in the British people as a whole and most important of all, Listen and don't preach.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Amidst all the criticism of Starmer the latest set of Survation polls looks positive for him.

Still behind, but a 7 point swing in voting intention, 8 point swing for best PM, big falls in Johnson and the Conservatives' favourability ratings (albeit slightly offset by small falls in Starmer and Labour’s favourability, but still a swing).

A temporary aberration or a sign the tide is turning? Tune in next week to find out...

tonykellowfan

Personally I think tracking opinion polls this far out from an election is a complete waste of time.

The only poll that is ever reliable is the exit poll on election night.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Personally I think tracking opinion polls this far out from an election is a complete waste of time.

You're right, it absolutely is, but it's all we've got right now.

DB9

While I'll agree Polls so far away from election is a bit of a waste I do think though they are good at showing any political party, Especially in Government that people might or might be happy with their performances and voters will desert them if they carry on screwing up, Opposition parties shouldn't get carried away but know there are chinks in the Government's armour, Its how they exploit that which counts.

Mr Jinx

You're right to a degree, but I don't think they're a complete waste of time. People say the same about by-elections, but I think they can also be a good yardstick.

I think what we have seen this past year is that Boris is pretty much teflon man. He has many faults I grant you, but people are evidently willing to overlook them. Can they continue to overlook them for the next 3 years remains to be seen.

Anything can happen of course but if Starmer remains at Labour helm, I can't see much of a sway tbh. Given the boundary changes I see the Tories keeping a comfortablish majority (c 50).