• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster

The hypocrisy of leading Tories, including Johnson, regarding the Protocol .
Hardly surprising that the EU doesn't trust them one inch

IndoMike

I don't think the next generation will have a problem. A quarter of children born in the UK are non white. There's numerous second/third gen white immigrants in the UK and they generally don't see things the way that the over 40s do. Times have changed, and as a nation we have to move forward.

In short, if social media was around in the seventies the same thing would've happened with Bernard Manning and him being "cancelled" and the "marxists" that want to tell you how to think are too woke or whatever. We know that, and I get it. What I don't understand is why 40/50 years later when society is much more cohesive, we need to keep awareness alive so regularly where the problem is mostly with those who are too old, or stubborn to ever change their view.
Agree with your conclusion, although you answer your own question in your final sentence.
England is a pretty mixed up and muddled up world. It seems that many are suffering from stress, depression and anger. This was reflected in the vote to BREXIT - why were people so angry about the EU? - and growing xenophobia. For political reasons Johnson is going along with it
People who are dissatisfied with their lives are easily provoked into searching for scapegoats. This of course is not strictly limited to the elderly : a lot of young people are also of this ilk. It is sad reflection on England, which one would expect to be a shining light of tolerance. Our behaviour regarding BREXIT,. Immigration, cutting overseas aid, poor negotiating skills, continued belief that we are superior to others, is being noticed and is relegating us to the Championship.Our reputation for untrustworthiness is the final nail in the coffin.
The 10 years of soul destroying austerity is one of the main causes of this depressed state and the search for scapegoats Austerity stifled the economy and stifled the hopes of the people.

IndoMike

An article about how the Brexiters are keeping a low profile as it becomes evident that BREXIT is not the success or easy ride that they said it would be.
Also refers to the signing of the Agreement with Johnson and Fox smiling smugly, not yet realising that they'd farked up the Protocol. Not yet realising? But Blair, Major and the EU all told Johnson about this.
Johnson et al have been responsible for a debacle, but doubtless they will slither away into the long grass and leave the ***** for everyone else to clear up
By the way, how are all the big trade deals going? Haven't heard much yet. Eh?

tavyred

Linking to the New European? 🤣

elginCity

Do you think Campbell is jumping the gun with an ‘I told you so’ moment, Tav ?

• How do the sunlit uplands look from Tavistock ? Fishermen, farmers and hauliers amongst many others would like some reassurance right now, I’d imagine.

tavyred

Do you think Campbell is jumping the gun with an ‘I told you so’ moment, Tav ?

• How do the sunlit uplands look from Tavistock ? Fishermen, farmers and hauliers amongst many others would like some reassurance right now, I’d imagine.
He might have to hold fire with the fishermen Elgy. It’s funny I haven’t seen the total recovery in U.K. fish and shellfish exports to the EU reported much. Have you? 🙄

elginCity

He might have to hold fire with the fishermen Elgy. It’s funny I haven’t seen the total recovery in U.K. fish and shellfish exports to the EU reported much. Have you? 🙄

Probably because it hasn't been a total recovery for UK fish and shellfish exports ? Figures are much better than January but still down year on year. Red tape, delays and added costs make the smaller exporter uncompetitive. Eustace recently acknowledged that a serious 'challenge' still lies ahead for the industry. The uplands don't look bathed in sunlight to me, and the big question, as ever, is why are we needlessly making life so difficult for ourselves ? For what ?

Reactions: Egg

IndoMike

And why not? England was in Europe when I last looked at my atlas. Or has it moved?

tavyred

Probably because it hasn't been a total recovery for UK fish and shellfish exports ? Figures are much better than January but still down year on year. Red tape, delays and added costs make the smaller exporter uncompetitive. Eustace recently acknowledged that a serious 'challenge' still lies ahead for the industry. The uplands don't look bathed in sunlight to me, and the big question, as ever, is why are we needlessly making life so difficult for ourselves ? For what ?
I don’t recall too much talk of year on year comparisons when exports collapsed in January Elgy. Some posters seized on the one month collapse in fact and it was used as an example of an immediate and no doubt permanent decline in U.K. fish exports.
Myself and Jinxy were criticised greatly I remember for suggesting that the immediate post Brexit period would see teething problems before businesses normalised the change in procedures.
I feel somewhat vindicated this morning TBH. 😉

tavyred

And why not? England was in Europe when I last looked at my atlas. Or has it moved?
As well you know, I’m talking about the rabidly pro EU editorial standpoint of the publication, not geography Mike.