• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
2017 was the GE when the Electoral Commission expressed concern about double voting and the students were of course very much “Oh Jeremy Corbyn” flag bearers.

Big increase in Ben Bradshaw’s vote share that time. Plus15.6%.

P.S. I am deflecting you from the Music Quiz Thread ;)
If the Electoral Commission were concerned it would be the simplest of jobs to check for double votes.
Could have been done in a couple of ticks :cool:

As the heavens didn't break and paddy wagons weren't spotted on campus I doubt it was an issue.

Alistair20000

If the Electoral Commission were concerned it would be the simplest of jobs to check for double votes.
Could have been done in a couple of ticks :cool:

As the heavens didn't break and paddy wagons weren't spotted on campus I doubt it was an issue.
It was stated that identifying cases from the paper records was very difficult.

Mr Jinx

Correct but the student population has mushroomed 24% since 2016 alone. Cannot find any earlier figures. I don’t suppose you drove past all the student accommodation we see now back in the mid nineties ?

Exeter is like Canterbury which was rock sold blue when I was at Uni there. Now lost to Labour for ever, unless we cut down university numbers.
You could say Blair was pretty smart then by:

a) increasing the university population from what was 1 in 10 before he took office, to nearly one in two today.
b) increasing immigration from just above net zero before he took office to over 300k today.

Few of a) and b) will be Tory voters.

And despite that, Labour still lose badly (and look like continuing to do so).

Mr Jinx

Interesting to see Dominic Raab looking a little shaky under the boundary proposals:

If it happened and I was in charge of Labour I wouldn't stand anyone just for jokes.
Raab would've lost it in 2019 had Labour stood aside in some kind of pact.

angelic upstart

For how long though? 1 in 4 children born today are not white. In 20 or so years, the landscape of the UK will be very different.

Alistair20000

a) increasing the university population from what was 1 in 10 before he took office, to nearly one in two today.
b) increasing immigration from just above net zero before he took office to over 300k today.

Yep the Reverend Blair was a shrewd political operator, just like the slippery Harold Wilson. The only two elected Labour PM’s post WWII apart from Attlee of course.

Spoonz Red E

It was stated that identifying cases from the paper records was very difficult.
Fair enough but I can't think why.
When I vote they tick my name on the list as having done so - it should be a simple name check against some names who are on more than one roll unless I'm missing something.

angelic upstart

It’s interesting to see that migration from non EU countries are consistently higher than every year bar one of Blair’s tenure.

Additionally, net migration has been higher under the conservatives since 2010 on four occasions than Blair’s highest figures.

Alistair20000

L
Fair enough but I can't think why.
When I vote they tick my name on the list as having done so - it should be a simple name check against some names who are on more than one roll unless I'm missing something.
Might not be easy to match names in different constituency lists kept on paper without doing a lot of grunt work and I doubt the Electoral Commission has much in the way of resources. To match Mr Spoonz from manual lists in Exeter to Mr Spoonz in Penrith and The Border might be a lot to ask.

Spoonz Red E

Might not be easy to match names in different constituency lists kept on paper without doing a lot of grunt work and I doubt the Electoral Commission has much in the way of resources. To match Mr Spoonz from manual lists in Exeter to Mr Spoonz in Penrith and The Border might be a lot to ask.
As a matter of course it would be and you're right about the lack of resources.
I still think that if it's a stated matter of concern for them and double voting was feared to be significant in scope a sample audit would likely show it up.

'Penrith and the Border' is one of my favourite Public School romance novels. 📖