• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
That would explain then you’re rather negative, some would say outdated view of the U.K. Mike.
Contrary to what you read in the Guardian as gospel, the country is pretty much as it was in 2016 save for the democratically arrived at decision to leave the auspices of the EU trading bloc. When you next come back home, I reckon you’ll be pleasantly surprised that we’re still the liberal western democracy you remember.
Going off for a coffee. I'll give you time to dream up a nice exit strategy for evading answering my simple question 😂😂

tavyred

It was a simple question, Tavers. Why do you choose to be evasive? Problem?
I'll try again. What percentage of the electorate in Hartlepool voted for the Tory candidate? My maths is so bad I can't work it out 🙄
I’m not evading anything, if you’re making a point of comparing electorate size with the Tories vote last week, make the point and I can then agree with DB and say the point your making is irrelevant. 😉

tavyred

No I won't, If people are given the right to vote and can't be arsed to vote they do not come into any equation, It is their choice to vote or not but can't moan about the outcome, Nothing "Trump" about that, If you believe in voting and the democratic right to vote to change things then use it. Perhaps a better question to ask is what % of those who actually voted did vote for the Tory candidate, Not just those who can vote?
Decisions are made by those who show up. 👍

IndoMike

No I won't, If people are given the right to vote and can't be arsed to vote they do not come into any equation, It is their choice to vote or not but can't moan about the outcome, Nothing "Trump" about that, If you believe in voting and the democratic right to vote to change things then use it.
My question was referring to the popularity of the Tory party . A simple measure would be to see what percentage of the electorate voted for the Tory party. Now if you continue to butt in to my question while trying to avoid answering 1. It is dishonest posting 2. It tells a story 3. It's really starting to annoy me.
It's MY question and I have the right to get an honest answer

IndoMike

I’m not evading anything, if you’re making a point of comparing electorate size with the Tories vote last week, make the point and I can then agree with DB and say the point your making is irrelevant. 😉
What percentage of the electorate in Hartlepool voted for the Tory candidate?
Why are you afraid to answer?

tonykellowfan

Current Tory majority is 82, they seem to be the most popular party as far as I can tell, which is what matters.

They only have to beat the votes for the other parties not the non voters.

DB9

My question was referring to the popularity of the Tory party . A simple measure would be to see what percentage of the electorate voted for the Tory party. Now if you continue to butt in to my question while trying to avoid answering 1. It is dishonest posting 2. It tells a story 3. It's really starting to annoy me.
It's MY question and I have the right to get an honest answer
You of course have a right to ask questions but in voting, If you don't vote for whatever reason, You can't come into the equation, Its those that voted for the Tories you should ask ab, By the wY the Mayor up there got 73% of the vote, All political commentators said that was an amazing %.

IndoMike

Current Tory majority is 82, they seem to be the most popular party as far as I can tell, which is what matters.

They only have to beat the votes for the other parties not the non voters.
Popularity is a pro-active emotion / expression. If someone doesn't vote for any party that means no party is popular with that person. I"m not talking about lack of popularity : I'm talking about popularity : a proactive expression

Alistair20000

Basically there are two axis in politics, social and economic. Generally speaking the UK population is more right on social issues and more left on economic issues. Labour is basically left on both axis whereas BJ is right on social issues but has tacked towards the centre on economic issues. This is why he is winning in the red wall seats as he understands that the people who live there are social conservatives but support state intervention on economic matters which he is providing.
I would say he has veered well left of what Corbyn was proposing on policies for the economy.

DB9

I would say he has veered well left of what Corbyn was proposing on policies for the economy.
I'd agree, That money tree certainly turned blue after the GE.