• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Basically there are two axis in politics, social and economic. Generally speaking the UK population is more right on social issues and more left on economic issues. Labour is basically left on both axis whereas BJ is right on social issues but has tacked towards the centre on economic issues. This is why he is winning in the red wall seats as he understands that the people who live there are social conservatives but support state intervention on economic matters which he is providing.
Exactly, Those red wall voters don't care about what the twattersphere get professionally offended by, All they want is them and their families lives to improve, To me that is not much to ask for and as soon a Labour and other parties realise that they might have a chance.

IndoMike

Exactly, Those red wall voters don't care about what the twattersphere get professionally offended by, All they want is them and their families lives to improve, To me that is not much to ask for and as soon a Labour and other parties realise that they might have a chance.
Perhaps you could post a list of how Joe Public's life has improved over the last 10 years?

tonykellowfan

My mother was born in Bradford and I still have family in that part of the world. I can tell you for a fact that the rubbish served up by the left of the labour party is a massive turnoff for these type of normal working people.

Mr Jinx

But if people's lives do improve, say they buy their own house and earn more money, then the likelihood they'll then go and vote Tory somewhere down the line increases hugely. Ergo, Labour deep down inside likes people staying poor and downtrodden.

tonykellowfan

Perhaps you could post a list of how Joe Public's life has improved over the last 10 years?
Well in 2010 when Labour were last in power the unempolyment rate was over 8%. Prior to the pandemic the Tories had got it below 4% and even now it is only 5%.

DB9

In general more people go onto Uni, Wages in certain trades have improved vastly, More people (Pre Covid) go abroad for holidays, Access to technology is far better and easier, I have no idea why but the amount of housing being built, People are buying them, New builds or not, Houses and estates don't ly empty I'm not saying everyone's lives have all done the above but they are things people care about.

tavyred

Basically there are two axis in politics, social and economic. Generally speaking the UK population is more right on social issues and more left on economic issues. Labour is basically left on both axis whereas BJ is right on social issues but has tacked towards the centre on economic issues. This is why he is winning in the red wall seats as he understands that the people who live there are social conservatives but support state intervention on economic matters which he is providing.
Spot on.
The Tories current recipe for electoral success.....lean left on economics, lean right on culture.

Reactions: DB9

tavyred

Just as an aside Mike, when was the last time you visited old Blighty?

DB9

But if people's lives do improve, say they buy their own house and earn more money, then the likelihood they'll then go and vote Tory somewhere down the line increases hugely. Ergo, Labour deep down inside likes people staying poor and downtrodden.
The closest someone in the Labour Party came to say aspirations are good and we're not all downtrodden in recent years was Tony Blair, Love him or Loathe him he knew what the people wanted and won three times, That is a fact that no one can argue, Since his days for Labour it's been Lose, Lose, Lose, Lose.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
The closest someone in the Labour Party came to say aspirations are good and we're not all downtrodden in recent years was Tony Blair, Love him or Loathe him he knew what the people wanted and won three times, That is a fact that no one can argue, Since his days for Labour it's been Lose, Lose, Lose, Lose.
And even Blair yesterday admitted to his old mate Campbell, that he is frightened to say anything about social issues or try or make a joke due to the pile in from the left that follows.

I also note the Tories won 70% of the PCC elections last week.