• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
PM announces at PMQ's there will be an independent public inquiry into the handling of the Covid pandemic.
Hmm. Let's hope so

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
PM announces at PMQ's there will be an independent public inquiry into the handling of the Covid pandemic.
The inquiry members to be Carrie Symonds, Mrs Hancock and Stanley Johnson.

IndoMike

DB. The terms and conditions of the inquiry are yet to be revealed. Will it be a public inquiry or just an inquiry? Who will be chairman : a Johnson pick?
And why wait until spring 2022? After an election, maybe? Playing for time?
I've said it time and time again : you cannot be so naive as to trust what Johnson says
It is never black and white with him. When will it sink in DB?

IndoMike

The inquiry members to be Carrie Symonds, Mrs Hancock and Stanley Johnson.
It won't be Cummings, that's for sure
Another con coming

DB9

DB. The terms and conditions of the inquiry are yet to be revealed. Will it be a public inquiry or just an inquiry? Who will be chairman : a Johnson pick?
And why wait until spring 2022? After an election, maybe? Playing for time?
I've said it time and time again : you cannot be so naive as to trust what Johnson says
It is never black and white with him. When will it sink in DB?
Jeez Mike, The bloke has only announced it in Parliament about 30 mins ago, He has said it will be a "Public" Inquiry, The make up of it hasn't been announced yet but will be and then you can go over it with a microscope, As for the timing I'm in agreement with him, We're still in the pandemic, Hopefully coming towards the end of it and that is the time to look at it, Lastly I'm not being naive, I only reported what was announced at PMQ's Don't shoot the messenger!

Alistair20000

Whatever the structure and membership of the Public Inquiry it will probably be at least 10 years after in opens that it will report.

Saville Inquiry into Norn issues was expected to last a year and took 12 years.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
The point of the the PI should be to learn for next time. Whether decisions made were right or wrong is to an extent a side point.

The issue is how those decisions were taken. For me the major questions are

Is the Cobra / SAGE decision making model the right one? If so, who should be on SAGE? (Ie representation from what spheres). What about a temporary GNU?

Was there enough challenge of consensus?

Were enough of the wider impacts of lockdown/restrictions and the devotion of the entire NHS to Covid at the expense of everything else considered?

What can we learn from other countries experiences? Good and Bad.

What level of pre-preparedness is reasonable to maintain for a future pandemic/national emergency?

Should pandemic response be a devolved matter?

Do public procurement rules matter when time is of the absolute essence?

Is Ferguson a fraud and a bounder?

It needs to report by end 2022, not 2032.

Alistair20000

It needs to report by end 2022, not 2032.
Norfolk enchants.

As regards Prof Ferguson: just incompetent.

DB9

Yep, Two reasons, Nukes and Business. Serbia mind needed to be contained in respect of getting rid of their nationalists who had and were perpetrating awful war crimes in Kosovo, Croatia and Bosnia.
Speaking of which.......

tonykellowfan

Although I appreciate this is old ground, in relation to Iraq and Saddam Hussein, the removal of despots is a very dangerous thing to do no matter how much of a good idea it seems, as the evidence is that most countries that are ruled by tyrants do not have the necessary civil institutions to work post-tyrant. They just collapse into civil war, Syria being the latest example. Libya of course.

What for me is horrific about this is that people like Blair are supposed to be educated and should know this from at the very least our own history and culture. Shakespeare wrote at least 3 plays in which the central theme is whether it is safe to remove a tyrant - Richard II, Hamlet and Julius Caeser.