• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
That’s a very 20th century attitude to economic theory Hermie, a new doctrine says countries who are able to borrow in their own currency, can rack up long term debt with little or no risk. That’s the theory anyway.
Depends on the interest rates ; depends on how much of the debt is in dollars and hence on the exchange rate. If debt is not a problem how come The Chinless Wonder put the country through 10 years of austerity to pay off the debt? Huh?

Alistair20000

Another 8 years of Johnson. Jesus.
Don’t think Bunter can afford to live on his PM salary for 8 years Indo

tavyred

Depends on the interest rates ; depends on how much of the debt is in dollars and hence on the exchange rate. If debt is not a problem how come The Chinless Wonder put the country through 10 years of austerity to pay off the debt? Huh?
The big driver for the Cameroonian austerity era was the deficit not the debt per se.

IndoMike

The big driver for the Cameroonian austerity era was the deficit not the debt per se.
But deficit leads to national debt.
Anyway, the IMF was a big supporter of austerity during the Asian crisis. The problem with austerity is that it smothers a nation's economic activity and leads to a breakdown in society. I was already here in Indonesia in 1998 when the crisis started.
It was a very challenging time, believe me. I saw stuff.

Mr Jinx

Besides, when someone mentions austerity, some assume that everybody is/was against it.

Lot of people (me included) absolutely applauded it. Days of easy take were gone for lots. And not before time.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Besides, when someone mentions austerity, some assume that everybody is/was against it.

Lot of people (me included) absolutely applauded it. Days of easy take were gone for lots. And not before time.
See I just knew you'd be all for it

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
That’s a very 20th century attitude to economic theory Hermie, a new doctrine says countries who are able to borrow in their own currency, can rack up long term debt with little or no risk. That’s the theory anyway.
So some would have it. Others would say that MMT is entirely untested, and that it will inevitably lead to unstable inflation.

DB9

You may not agree with Angela Rayner's politics but.............
1620579528834.png

Rosencrantz

You may not agree with Angela Rayner's politics but.............
View attachment 6003
You keeping her on the front bench then DB?

DB9

You keeping her on the front bench then DB?
Only if Mrs DB9 would let me, She just rolled her eyes! :ROFLMAO: