• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
The real problem is when the vacuum of integrity coincides with the vacuum of talent. This government needs to show more than a modicum of either than they have yet.

tavyred

You mean you haven't come to that realization?
You do get Mike, that most people who vote for him know exactly what he is and vote for him anyway?
As RP quite rightly says, the reason he keeps on winning is the lack of a viable alternative primarily and the fact that his faults IMO are exaggerated for political expediency.

arthur

I remember how ****-a-hoop that wing of the party was when TM got in ahead of the Brexiteers in 2016. They made the mistake of not reading the room (electorally) then,
IIRC the Chief Brexiteer declined to stand, ostensibly because his colleagues (Gove and Leadsom primarily) couldn't trust him but actually because he realised that he would have a Herculean task to perform in getting a completely undefined Brexit through the HoC. So he left it to the rather sad May to do all the heavy lifting while he carped from the sidelines, then came in at the last minute once all the hard graft had been done.

Nothing to do with "not reading the room electorally" - you are living proof of that old dictum, "History is written by the winning side"

arthur

his faults IMO are exaggerated for political expediency.
..by the likes of Johnny Mercer presumably

tavyred

Are you referring to Johnson, the SNP, or the Scottish fishing industry ..?
Rumour has it that Wee Nippy failed via Twitter to acknowledge SGD yesterday. She had no problem with Paddy’s day, Yom Kippur, St David’s Day and Eid of course.
Civic nationalism my backside.

tavyred

..by the likes of Johnny Mercer presumably
The sacked bitter ex-minister, that Johnny Mercer? 😄

IndoMike

You do get Mike, that most people who vote for him know exactly what he is and vote for him anyway?
As RP quite rightly says, the reason he keeps on winning is the lack of a viable alternative primarily and the fact that his faults IMO are exaggerated for political expediency.
No, I don't get that. I'm not sure that the vast majority of the electorate follow politics as closely as we do, principally because they don't have the time.
He doesn't keep on winning : he won mayoral race and one GE, where Corbyn stood absolutely no chance. In effect he won two 2-horse races.
But, I don't believe it! You didn't answer my question !! .....about Johnson being dishonest and a chancer
Finally, several Tory MPs have been pointing out his faults : is that through
political expediency?

IndoMike

Rumour has it that Wee Nippy failed via Twitter to acknowledge SGD yesterday. She had no problem with Paddy’s day, Yom Kippur, St David’s Day and Eid of course.
Civic nationalism my backside.

tavyred

IIRC the Chief Brexiteer declined to stand, ostensibly because his colleagues (Gove and Leadsom primarily) couldn't trust him but actually because he realised that he would have a Herculean task to perform in getting a completely undefined Brexit through the HoC. So he left it to the rather sad May to do all the heavy lifting while he carped from the sidelines, then came in at the last minute once all the hard graft had been done.

Nothing to do with "not reading the room electorally" - you are living proof of that old dictum, "History is written by the winning side"
No Brexiteer was winning that leadership contest art. The parliamentary Tory party and the Government itself in 2016 was majority pro EU and thus it was pre ordained that a safe pair of hands was going to give us a remainer Brexit in the hope that the 17.4m wouldn’t notice.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Are you referring to Johnson, the SNP, or the Scottish fishing industry ..?
I am referring to your assertion that the age of the populists is dying.