• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Its been a good few weeks for the Union in Scotland. There’s no ignoring the fact that if things were as the separatists wanted it, Scotland would now be watching the rest of the U.K. vaccinating at pace while Scots would be fighting over the scraps with the rest of the EU. The Salmond/Sturgeon affair would’ve highlighted to many that there are perhaps serious issues with honesty as well as competence at the top of the SNP and the Scottish institutions the nationalists now dominate. I found some of revelations reported this week quite chilling and it would appear this feeling is being shared by a growing number of Scots as well.
This wasn’t the plan of course, the advocates of independence in Scotland and their cheerleaders on the remainer liberal left in England were supposed to witnessing a Brexit disaster, a disaster that would inevitably lead to another referendum and the glorious opportunity for the doom laden and self loathing rejoiners to declare that Brexit was tearing the Union apart. Instead we have had a largely benign exit from the EU’s orbit and we even saw a tangible benefit of Brexit for one of Scotland’s biggest exports when the US lifted the 25% punitive tariffs on whisky it levied in its trade spat with Brussels.
As with the vaccine procurement, I don’t think the SNP has acknowledged that particular Union dividend yet.

Mr Jinx

Scottish Independence poll

Yes 48% - 5%
No 52% + 5%
in a week
And one might think that will continue to sway the way of No as the months go by and Brexit doesn't end up being the disaster proclaimed by Project Fear (or even, dare I say it...a success).

<<...runs for cover...>>>

Mr Jinx

It won't be to Laurence Fox. Clear as day he just wants a bit of publicity. He claims he'll fight "woke" in the city that lives and breathes it, the city that gets sneered at for being metropolitan.
If they have deposits he'll lose it. Unless that Bailey bloke really is as bad as I'm led to believe!
Ok, well fair enough...but I'll be doing my bit to try and help him not lose his deposit. His cause is a very worthy one imho, even if it falls on the deaf ears of the many neo-liberal Uber Remainer dinner party set around our way.

London is lost to Labour for good. I know that much. I see myself as an enemy within.

As for Shaun Bailey...errr...ummm...the less said...

tavyred

Labour Shadow Health Minister-“It’s disgusting to give Nurses a 1% pay rise this year...”
Andrew Marr-“So then Mr Asworth, how much would Labour pay them?”
Labour Shadow Health Minister- “.....Errrrr” 🙄

arthur

I don’t suppose the movers and shakers at the top of Tory Party today are that bothered with your 9 year old story Art. 😄
No, you're probably right. It has always struck me as a bit odd how populist leaders demonstrably loathe or find distasteful their core supporters and spend as little time as possible associating with them . Think Farage and his March for Brexit, Trump and his March to the Capitol. The well documented disdain that leading Tories have for their new voters is all of piece with that. Still there's nothing I can do about but look on from the sidelines and enjoy your protestations that trusting that these appalling people care about their supporters is the right thing to do.

DB9

Labour Shadow Health Minister-“It’s disgusting to give Nurses a 1% pay rise this year...”
Andrew Marr-“So then Mr Asworth, how much would Labour pay them?”
Labour Shadow Health Minister- “.....Errrrr” 🙄
While I think it's a bit of a PR fook up, The nurses/doctors get their (Paultry) 1% then what do we say to the rest of those who have kept this country going who say "What about us?" I've mulled this over for a few days and imho it would have been better to say freeze EVERY public sector workers pay rather than give one to one side. It will be interesting though to see if all those private sector workers like in shops, care homes and any other place that's stayed open throughout this get a decent rise or will it be about the same or nothing at all?

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
While I think it's a bit of a PR fook up, The nurses/doctors get their (Paultry) 1% then what do we say to the rest of those who have kept this country going who say "What about us?" I've mulled this over for a few days and imho it would have been better to say freeze EVERY public sector workers pay rather than give one to one side. It will be interesting though to see if all those private sector workers like in shops, care homes and any other place that's stayed open throughout this get a decent rise or will it be about the same or nothing at all?
I agree to a point DB, the problem is that you have also to take into account recent history. Some public sector workers have had reasonable pay rises over the last few years (to which others will argue is 'catch up for austerity') and others have not. There is also the unpriced fact that, like or not, job security in the pubic sector is significantly greater. The pay may (I stress may) be less, but very few PSE's were furloughed, job security is still high and pensions are at the generous end.

As for the private sector, they will pay what they can afford. Some businesses (big and small) have boomed - supermarkets and DIY chains obviously, but also producers and suppliers selling essential services, medical and sanitisation supplies, Curry's and PC World selling all those 'home office' essentials. There's quite a list. I suspect some of the management at these places will not be going hungry, but then they probably have worked bleedin' hard throughout.

DB9

I agree to a point DB, the problem is that you have also to take into account recent history. Some public sector workers have had reasonable pay rises over the last few years (to which others will argue is 'catch up for austerity') and others have not. There is also the unpriced fact that, like or not, job security in the pubic sector is significantly greater. The pay may (I stress may) be less, but very few PSE's were furloughed, job security is still high and pensions are at the generous end.

As for the private sector, they will pay what they can afford. Some businesses (big and small) have boomed - supermarkets and DIY chains obviously, but also producers and suppliers selling essential services, medical and sanitisation supplies, Curry's and PC World selling all those 'home office' essentials. There's quite a list. I suspect some of the management at these places will not be going hungry, but then they probably have worked bleedin' hard throughout.
I can also see this point but in the private sector who've done well, Will they really reward those on the "Shop Floor" with a decent pay rise or will the upper management and shareholders just get bigger dividends?

tavyred

No, you're probably right. It has always struck me as a bit odd how populist leaders demonstrably loathe or find distasteful their core supporters and spend as little time as possible associating with them . Think Farage and his March for Brexit, Trump and his March to the Capitol. The well documented disdain that leading Tories have for their new voters is all of piece with that. Still there's nothing I can do about but look on from the sidelines and enjoy your protestations that trusting that these appalling people care about their supporters is the right thing to do.
Any chance you could shine your spotlight of inquiry on perhaps why Labour is failing to keep hold of its traditional vote Art. Unless of course your entire argument is that the working class are being duped into voting Tory. If that’s the case then you’re simply mirroring the Labour Party and its attitude to ordinary voters, if only the working class were clever enough to vote Labour they say.

arthur

Any chance you could shine your spotlight of inquiry on perhaps why Labour is failing to keep hold of its traditional vote Art. Unless of course your entire argument is that the working class are being duped into voting Tory. If that’s the case then you’re simply mirroring the Labour Party and its attitude to ordinary voters, if only the working class were clever enough to vote Labour they say.
I am not in the habit of describing people I disagree with as duped (or thick or racist for that matter) so please give up trying to pin that on me.

The answer to your question is that Tories have successfully captured the imagination of "ordinary" voters (am I not ordinary btw?) and Labour haven't.

That is the situation at the moment and is the result of a very specific set of unusual circumstances. Crowing about it may prove premature...