• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
The fact that only Mad Nad could be dragged in front of the cameras to try to defend the indefensible says it all, really.

Still, quite revealing that she is "pleasantly surprised" at an effective pay-cut for those who have spend the past year in the front line of the battle against Covid.
Says it all really
#typicallyarrogantTories
The nurses must be overjoyed with this massive pay rise. The sacrifices they have made are clearly valued.

elginCity

Nadine Dorries is saying it is all the country can afford, and she is correct, because there is no magic money tree. Just ask Dido.

tavyred

Of course, you would bring race into it. It's not about race. It's about wealth and about the Tories dishing out wads of money to marginal or targeted seats. I guess that's just a coincidence.
This Govt is more slippery than any other Govt I can ever remember. Trump Mark II.
Liz Truss brought race into it albeit in a nuanced fashion and I agree with her.
You’re going to have to suspend your deep dislike for the Tories for a minute to two and perhaps read the link I’ve provided below. It is from Conservative Home, so I hope reading it doesn’t disagree with your liberal sensibilities too much Mike. 😉
This isn’t about playing one group off with another or electioneering, it’s about recognising that for too long a forgotten group of our number has not benefited as regards Government assistance when you compare them with other groups.
Now as a one time Labour voter myself I would’ve perhaps preferred it if the traditional advocates for the English working class were engaged in a levelling up agenda, but as Liz Truss suggests the Labour Party’s priorities seem elsewhere nowadays.
You’re right to be cynical, but I’m with all those former Labour people up North who are at least willing to give the Tories a fair go when it comes their levelling up agenda.

Grecian2K

Nadine Dorries is saying it is all the country can afford, and she is correct, because there is no magic money tree. Just ask Dido.
Annual cost of a 1% payrise for NHS workers: £0.34 Billion*
Annual cost of Baronness Dildo's disaster of a T&T system: £22 Billion (and still counting)

I defy even the Tory toadies to claim that the latter has been money better spent!

Perhaps if Churchill's grandson had chosen to be a nurse rather corporate CEO the largesse might have been disbursed a little more equitably.

*Actually, to adopt Al's argument on Furlough pay the nett cost of the rise would be about 20% less, due to some of the money being clawed back in increased PAYE & NI for the Health Wage-slaves.

IndoMike

Liz Truss brought race into it albeit in a nuanced fashion and I agree with her.
You’re going to have to suspend your deep dislike for the Tories for a minute to two and perhaps read the link I’ve provided below. It is from Conservative Home, so I hope reading it doesn’t disagree with your liberal sensibilities too much Mike. 😉
This isn’t about playing one group off with another or electioneering, it’s about recognising that for too long a forgotten group of our number has not benefited as regards Government assistance when you compare them with other groups.
Now as a one time Labour voter myself I would’ve perhaps preferred it if the traditional advocates for the English working class were engaged in a levelling up agenda, but as Liz Truss suggests the Labour Party’s priorities seem elsewhere nowadays.
You’re right to be cynical, but I’m with all those former Labour people up North who are at least willing to give the Tories a fair go when it comes their levelling up agenda.

Not accepting anything that smacks of racism is not connected with any liberal sensibilities, Tavers, but it is like a red flag to a bull in my case It's just a matter of fairness and decency to denounce it: you don"t have to be a liberal to do that.
Regarding your attachment : I will read it tomorrow my time and will get back to you. I always reply to anyone who kindly takes the time to comment on my posts and engage.

Alistair20000

Annual cost of a 1% payrise for NHS workers: £0.34 Billion*
Annual cost of Baronness Dildo's disaster of a T&T system: £22 Billion (and still counting)

I defy even the Tory toadies to claim that the latter has been money better spent!

Perhaps if Churchill's grandson had chosen to be a nurse rather corporate CEO the largesse might have been disbursed a little more equitably.

*Actually, to adopt Al's argument on Furlough pay the nett cost of the rise would be about 20% less, due to some of the money being clawed back in increased PAYE & NI for the Health Wage-slaves.
Spot on G2K (nearly). A tad more is clawed back if employee's NIC is factored in and some of the workers higher up the pay scales might be paying 40% tax.

Still, good work Chap. Tick, tick. star star 9/10, 50 billion house points (y)

:)

Grecian2K

A little ditty for the Tory toadies (partly by courtesy of the late Freddie Mercury)
Oh yes I'm the great defender (ooh ooh)
Defending is all I do well (ooh ooh)
My need is such I deflect too much
I'm misguided, as most here can tell

arthur

Not accepting anything that smacks of racism is not connected with any liberal sensibilities, Tavers, but it is like a red flag to a bull in my case It's just a matter of fairness and decency to denounce it: you don"t have to be a liberal to do that.
Regarding your attachment : I will read it tomorrow my time and will get back to you. I always reply to anyone who kindly takes the time to comment on my posts and engage.
I wouldn't hold your breath Indo. A lot of straw men Truss sets up so that she can knock them down. None of them will come as a surprise - Tavy's been mouthing them for years. The fact is conveniently ignored that geographic inequality has been caused primarily by a) Thatcher's destruction of the manufacturing sector in the midlands and north b) subsequent governments (including Blair's) refusing to acknowledge the damage to the social and political fabric caused by not addressing the consequences and c) George Osborne's unnecessary and counter productive austerity programme which has left swathes of the country looking and feeling run down, shabby and neglected

You have to realise that in Tavyworld, if you take measures raise a group of people's life chances and general wellbeing from 50% satisfactory to 60%, those who are at 65% have been hard done by and are falling behind. You can understand the frustration of the 65%ers, but saying that the reason they can't get any higher is because of those poorer people have had too much time, effort and money spent on them is simply a lie.

But a lie that is easy to sell. But selling lies is what this government does, not because they believe them, but because they think it will win them votes. I can't think of any other government as flagrantly dishonest as this one - there are plenty that have been wrong, or spun to make things look better than they were, but all of them at least thought they were doing the right thing.

Their biggest lie is to claim to be patriotic, led as they are by a man who willfully damaged the country in order to advance his political career. But this doesn't stop his followers branding anyone who does not share their narrow view of what is historically, presently or potentially Great about Britain unpatriotic or "self loathing". Unutterably depressing beyond measure

Grecian2K

In the interest of democratic discourse I did try to wade my way through that lump of Tory click-bait (although it goes against the grain even to venture into CONservativeHome!). A stream of consciousness that makes even the most verbose rantings of the late Cummings seem precise.

A few saccharine cliches and platitudes but, as they say, "fine words butter no parsnips", especially when they come from someone with a record of right wing autocratic views like Truss. Lest we forget, she (along with the likes of Patel, Raab & Kwarteng) was co-author to that gospel of praise to unfettered, feral, dog-eat-dog capitalism "Britannia Unchained" - parts of which made even Ayd Rand seem like a bleeding hear liberal.

I wouldn't trust Truss (and her ilk) to deliver an amazon order let alone a real agenda of social fairness. This seems a blatant attempt to try and present a more "cuddly Lizibet". Just like May did when she (quite rightly) called out the Tories as the nasty party - before going on to become one of the most mean-spirited and nasty Home Secs ever! Perhaps the article you reference is ET's own first salvo of an eventual leadership bid.

Still, if you choose to swallow her sugar-glazed words then fair enough. All I can say is "caveat emptor".

tavyred

Welcome back Art.
I obviously can’t make you think that Tories will be true to their word on this this, the proof will be in the pudding. That said, the money in things like the Towns Fund looks real enough, the 750 Treasury North look real enough and the intent to move a further 30K public sector jobs from London to the regions looks real enough too. With respect, you sound like you’re in denial about the Tories levelling up agenda and can’t accept despite the evidence that it’s actually happening.
Finally it really is not a good look for you to suggest that whereas you can see through the quite obvious Tory lies others for some reason can’t. YouGov currently has the Tories leading by 25% with working class voters, perhaps the people who are going to directly benefit from this Tory initiative just see what is happening and believe the promises being made to them. 🤷🏼‍♂️