• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IBA

-
Pretti is correct on this one, just why have we only just introduced adequate controls on our Borders? - I thought Right-wingers were all in favour of Strict Border Control!!

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
UK House Prices set a record high.

Pound vs Euro sets a 1 month high. Now just short of the high seen since Mar 10 2020. Pound vs US$ sets a one year high.

The expensive musical gear I've got my eye on (in Germany) just got another £30 cheaper overnight. Now £80 cheaper than two weeks ago.

FTSE100 (& FTSE250) just off the highest they've been since Mar 1 2020. Pension pots will therefore be swelling nicely up and down the land.

Happy days! Must do this full Brexit thingy more often. Another shot to the head of Project Fear.

elginCity

Reactions: IBA

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm a little confused by the house prices thing. I get that you would see rises outside of cities as people seek some fresh air and more space between zoom calls from the new bedroom office but dont get why this hasn't been offset by a drop in the cities, especially in London. Then you have the cladding/flats scandal making many flats worthless

Is it an artificial rise to beat the stamp duty change and it will soon readjust?

Mr Jinx

I'm a little confused by the house prices thing. I get that you would see rises outside of cities as people seek some fresh air and more space between zoom calls from the new bedroom office but dont get why this hasn't been offset by a drop in the cities, especially in London. Then you have the cladding/flats scandal making many flats worthless

Is it an artificial rise to beat the stamp duty change and it will soon readjust?
It's multi faceted really. Yes the stamp duty change will have a bearing, as it always does, but it's not all of it. Wrt London, it's an odd beast. I think high end luxury apartments right in the centre have taken a hit, but the burbs have held up and are now actually increasing.

Another factor I think is that the economy isn't doing as badly as all that. Yes things were looking a bit grim in the summer, but they've since picked up and no-one we know in London is currently out of work. There were some that lost their job, but they're now back in work. Salaries seem to be holding up too.

Mr Jinx

And so the bad blood between Theresa May and her successor boiled over yesterday. Bozza hilariously walking out part way through her big speech.

Treezer dear, you were outplayed, outsmarted and just weren't very good at PM. Just let it go love.

tavyred

Theresa May, God she was awful!

Reactions: DB9

IndoMike

"Conservative MPs have ripped out an amendment to the government's trade bill to prevent the NHS being sold off or undermined by the government's trade deals with other countries".

I think it's possible that the Govt. will find ways to gradually privatise the NHS.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's multi faceted really. Yes the stamp duty change will have a bearing, as it always does, but it's not all of it. Wrt London, it's an odd beast. I think high end luxury apartments right in the centre have taken a hit, but the burbs have held up and are now actually increasing.

Another factor I think is that the economy isn't doing as badly as all that. Yes things were looking a bit grim in the summer, but they've since picked up and no-one we know in London is currently out of work. There were some that lost their job, but they're now back in work. Salaries seem to be holding up too.
Thanks Jinxy. Disposable cash may still floating about as people don't shell out on holidays, evenings out, trips to Carlisle to watch 4th tier football etc but I am uncertain what may commeth, jobs and economy wise down the track. We shall see.

I'd like to see more houses built; provides jobs, tax revenues, takes the heat out the market and most importantly should provide places for people to live.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
"Conservative MPs have ripped out an amendment to the government's trade bill to prevent the NHS being sold off or undermined by the government's trade deals with other countries".

I think it's possible that the Govt. will find ways to gradually privatise the NHS.
IMHO we need to move away from thinking the only way to fund the NHS is through general taxation. This does not by default mean I think we should have the American system where you have to remortgage to get a blood test.