• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I sense you are having a bad day art.

Cheer up Chap.

tavyred

I sense you are having a bad day art.

Cheer up Chap.
He sounds a tad miserablist to be fair.

Grecian2K

And the ghastly realities of Brexit are even beginning to dawn on the once fervently pro leave DUP.
DUP: PM must activate emergency Brexit get-out clause to protect Union (msn.com)
Still, I'm sure Farage's remaining fan-boys will still continue with their myopic xenophobia and playbook of infantile insults to throw at any who dare to contradict them. :(

tavyred

Art.
This started with me in passing referencing Britain’s laudable role in freeing our continent from fascism and you others have spent the last few pages engaged in an exercise of diminishing that role and feeling the need to talk about the Russians or
Yanks for some reason.
You kind of make my point.

Mr Jinx

What is miserablist about not being happy about a country where inequality is rife, where educational attainment is poor, where lots of people can't get housed, where an electoral system is not fit for purpose?
Well, this is essentially it. Ever since I've seen you post, when it comes to anything about this country your glass appears constantly half empty, whereas mine (and possibly Tavy's) is more half full.

You think our educational system is poor, but from where I'm sitting, having experienced it some other countries, I think overall it's pretty good. My biggest beef is with supply, e.g. shrinking catchment areas, but that's due to extraneous factors.

You're miserable about living in a country where inequality is rife. Well I've lived in countries where it isn't so rife (e.g. Sweden) and do you think they're a happier bunch?

As for electoral systems, like I've said many times before, ours certainly isn't perfect. But were we to go down a full PR route we could have quite easily had a deputy PM Nigel Farage at points in the last 5 years. I don't think that would've made you very happy either.

Try cheering up a little.

Last edited:

Grecian2K

You're miserable about living in a country where inequality is rife. Well I've lived in countries where it isn't so rife (e.g. Sweden) and do you think they're a happier bunch?
Is that a different Sweden to this one?
These Are the World's Happiest Countries | Best Countries | US News
An absolute scandal that Merrie Olde England can only scrape in a 15th. Obviously a "fake poll" - where's dear old Uncle Don when you need him to rattle a few cages at US News? :rolleyes:

tavyred

And the ghastly realities of Brexit are even beginning to dawn on the once fervently pro leave DUP.
DUP: PM must activate emergency Brexit get-out clause to protect Union (msn.com)
Still, I'm sure Farage's remaining fan-boys will still continue with their myopic xenophobia and playbook of infantile insults to throw at any who dare to contradict them. :(
It would seem the Irish were playing silly buggers at Dublin Port and after hauliers (inc. ROI bound lorries) began diverting up to the more efficient passage through Belfast, the Irish got a tad worried and stopped playing silly buggers and suspended their new Brexit checks to make sure traffic ran smoothly again so the supermarket shelves in NI could be restocked again.
Probably like the Dutch, the Irish were being a bit mischievous at the start of the new arrangements in order to make a point.
Things will normalise I’m sure.

Mr Jinx

Is that a different Sweden to this one?
These Are the World's Happiest Countries | Best Countries | US News
An absolute scandal that Merrie Olde England can only scrape in a 15th. Obviously a "fake poll" - where's dear old Uncle Don when you need him to rattle a few cages at US News? :rolleyes:
Dunno, but would you be happy living here if you were paying about £17 for a pint of beer in a pub?

That was my experience over there at the time and it was the source of much malaise. It wouldn't bother you so much there if you were super rich, but because of the lack of inequality, there weren't many that were.

The other massive bugbear for everyone there was not being able to buy alcohol from a shop between the hours of 5pm Friday through to 9am Monday. Were that to be enforced here there'd be riots.

I always laugh at these polls where Scandy countries usually come out on top. Give me Blighty and all its problems any day of the week.

Grecian2K

At the moment I'd be happy to pay ALMOST anything for the luxury of a pint of beer in a pub. :cry:

Grecian2K

It would seem the Irish were playing silly buggers at Dublin Port and after hauliers (inc. ROI bound lorries) began diverting up to the more efficient passage through Belfast, the Irish got a tad worried and stopped playing silly buggers and suspended their new Brexit checks to make sure traffic ran smoothly again so the supermarket shelves in NI could be restocked again.
Probably like the Dutch, the Irish were being a bit mischievous at the start of the new arrangements in order to make a point.
Things will normalise I’m sure.
Would love to see actual corroboration of this story - I can find absolutely nothing on line.
And even you own beloved leader is admitting to "teething troubles" in this, and many other, aspect of Brexit.
Still, in your cosy little world EVERYTHING is bound to be someone elses fault.