• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Modern left, modern right.
At least it's modern.
England swings like a pendulum do.

"Tribal debaters shocked to find tribal debate on tribal debate platforms but take solace in dividing the 'real' world into broad tribes".
Hold the front page.

tavyred

But it isn't Tavy. It's the modern Right's fear of anything different that doesn't benefit them, directly, financially.
Your theory about right wing parties only being a front for the interests of its traditional backers is about to be tested big time with the Government’s levelling up agenda. If they can pull it off, then I don’t know where the progressives can go politically. 👍

Spoonz Red E

Your theory about right wing parties only being a front for the interests of its traditional backers is about to be tested big time with the Government’s levelling up agenda. If they can pull it off, then I don’t know where the progressives can go politically. 👍
If they can pull it off I'll be delighted as it will be progressive in itself.

I might worry now that it was only vote buying but then I only have years of political history and practice to go on.

It was only knowing that we had been promised 'Caring Capitalism' by one and all in power that got me through PFI debt, the Global Crash, the Housing Crisis, 10 years of Austerity and the Collapse of Social Services and kept me a smiling and a whistling.

lamrobhero

To which EU country would you like to emigrate ?
Why do you support diminishing my freedom?

DB9

No one's stopping your freedom, Just when you go into Europe you can't go through the "EU Citizens" control bit, You'll have to do what probably 90%+ of the world's population have to do, Apply for a visa.

Alistair20000

When did I suggest that ?

tavyred

If they can pull it off I'll be delighted as it will be progressive in itself.

I might worry now that it was only vote buying but then I only have years of political history and practice to go on.

It was only knowing that we had been promised 'Caring Capitalism' by one and all in power that got me through PFI debt, the Global Crash, the Housing Crisis, 10 years of Austerity and the Collapse of Social Services and kept me a smiling and a whistling.
You’re right it’s not a given considering past history.

elginCity

No one's stopping your freedom, Just when you go into Europe you can't go through the "EU Citizens" control bit, You'll have to do what probably 90%+ of the world's population have to do, Apply for a visa.
He said 'diminishing' freedom. Today, if somebody wants to sell their council house and buy a retirement villa in Spain they need proof of income around £30k to qualify for a third country retirement visa. No problem for those with means, but for those without, it is a diminishing of their freedom. For what ?

lamrobhero

When did I suggest that ?
I read between the lines and assumed that you supported the end of freedom of movement. If this is not the case then I apologise and withdraw my remark.

arthur

Art.
Slightly disingenuous post IMO.
Liberal self-loathing is not something people get accused of because of the reasons you suggest. The phenomenon, which has blossomed during the Brexit years, is one where if someone ever suggests a positive about Britain (past or present) he or she is met with a miserablist narrative with the sole intent of reducing Britain to an almost derisory level.
Your man Starmer gets it, that’s why he’s taken to parking his backside next to Union flags all of a sudden. It’s not going down to well with some of his supporters of course.
What is miserablist about not being happy about a country where inequality is rife, where educational attainment is poor, where lots of people can't get housed, where an electoral system is not fit for purpose?

What is miserabilist about voicing concern when those who choose not to conform to ostentatious displays of alleged patriotism, respect for heroes etc, are pilloried, despite the fact that they the censorious have no idea about how much those people love their country or respect those who have given their lives for it?

How is a new role for the UK, which sees itself as a progressive, liberal force for good, working in partnership with other nations to achieve beneficial outcomes tantamount to "reducing Britain to an almost derisory level"

How does stating that
this is something we can justly be very proud of.
constitute "liberal self loathing.

You and Jinx just construct a narrative that suits your very tenuous political position. The fact that this narrative is a fantasy is extremely irritating